X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by Keystone:
    RIGID TOOLS ARE NOW BEING MADE BY RYOBI.
    Yep...the truth hurts them I guess....from the St. Louis paper (first thing I found online when I searched One World Technologies)

Emerson turns over some manufacturing to One World Technologies
    One World Technologies will manufacture Emerson Professional Tools' Ridgid brand tools under a new marketing agreement

One World Technologies is a subsidiary of Hong Kong-based TechTronic Industries Co. Ltd., which manufactures home improvement products, including such brands as Ryobi power tools, Ryobi and Homelite outdoor power equipment and Dirt Devil and Vax floor care.

Just like Chevy and GMC are made under GM (and are virtually identical), so will the tale be for Ridgid and Ryobi. Remember, Sears had their standards too....anyone on our forum buying tools from Sears now?
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Well I guess i may as well jump on the bandwagon.
      I'm not impressed with the color, but if you are somewhere where others are using the same tools but different mfg. you will always be able to find yours. (brite orange) with the exception of my extremely well performing Ridgid mitre saw the rest are all dewalt yellow. If you read all of the different magazines each one rates specific tools from different mfg.'s in different categories on top. I make my living with my tools. If the reliability is there in the first few i buy then that is my mfg of choice until they let me down. Right now I will look at dewalt and ridgid as equal to my firt choice for replacement of tools that no longer perform well for me. But this forum has put ridgid in this position and I am thankful to all of you. And look at it this way, you can always spray paint the outside any color you want once you own it. I may even but their cordless kit and spray it yelow so it fits in with the rest of my tool motif.

happy woodworking

Comment

Keystone, ya gots to read the whole thread. From an earlier post by brandmand; "One comment on the mentioning of Ryobi. Ryobi isn't making the tools. Techtronic Industries is who we have partnered with. They make tools for sale under the Ryobi brand, as well as Metabo - Fein - and Senco. I would hope that we all hold these brands in some esteem for quality. That is what attacted us to partner with them."

So yeah, they make Ryobi, but what about Fein, Metabo, and Senco. Are they junk? Made by the same folks, so they must be, right? Come on guys! We're all here because we own and use Ridgid tools. Yes, they, as a company, have made changes, but we still need to give them a chance. Not all change is good, but not all of it is bad either.
        Bill

Comment

As Big Johnson said, Let's move on and use the c@#P out of the new tools and then decide about their quality. The color may be disturbing to some , but if the quality is there we can live with it! As far as the site is concerned, the fact that we have one of this nature should be a valued item (colors be d!@#$d,live with it!).That is what my $.05 cents is worth - Let's make sawdust now! Rick

Comment

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. However, I think we are beginning to beat this to death. I am a software engineer/web developer and several companies that I have been associated with have removed online forums when they have turned into nothing but complaint sessions. I would hate to see that happen here.

From what my non-legal mind can determine, the old lifetime warranty was only really for manufacturing defects. I would guess that 99.99% of these would show up in the first 3 years. They have added a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. So I don't think the new warranty is such a big issue. Disheartening, but not a show-stopper.

At this point, I think they are well aware of our opinions on many of the changes. I plan to wait and see what happens. I will be looking forward to hearing reviews from anyone that uses one of the new tools or reading reviews in any woodworking magazines.

If I start hearing some positive reviews, the quality/price are right, and I am in the market for another tool I wil consider buying. I'm not crazy about bright orange, but I am more concerned with quality and price. If the tools turn out to be great will we still complain?

Anyway, just my 2 (maybe 2.5) cents.

[ 08-27-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: MarkR ]
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BillAMJ:
              So yeah, they make Ryobi, but what about Fein, Metabo, and Senco. Are they junk? Made by the same folks, so they must be, right?
              I see nothing in the press section of Senco's site that would suggest TTI makes anything for them. Here it says they have plants in different countries, but nothing in Asia. Where did you see in print that TTI makes Senco?

Senco Facts Page
              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Mark----agree with you on the "lifetime warranty". I always laughed when people would cite this as an "important" consideration in buying the tool----if you bought a good tool, you'll never have to worry about the warranty.

However, don't know how many tools you have to throw in the trash before you can dis' Ryobi! I'd agree about being low-end---but what about the crap they made and passed it off as "Sears Best"----that stuff wasn't cheap----realize Sears had part of the blame, but Ryobi made the tools---including that POS Homelite chainsaw!

As I said, I'm going to wait and see---but, while waiting, I may have filled my complement of tools with other brands!
                Dave

Comment

Kelly, companies routinely make products for other companies and do not disclose who they are made for or by. A company I used to work for made the same product with 5 different paint jobs that sold at a price that was in some cases $150 difference from one brand to another. Do you think they put the actual mfg. on the box? They put their own name on the box because they are the ones who contracted for it.

As to the tools, If the Ridgid stuff is built to the same exacting specifications as one of the top brands mentioned than I may invest in one of the new ones. ( I really do like the dual battery charger) The orange in a hand tool does not bother me as much as the orange on the bandsaw. I don't honestly think that I could sit in front of a machine and cut piece after piece of wood with a 2'x3' bright orange rectangle staring me in the eyes. Break up the large canvas with more pleasing colors, please.(glad I already have all the large Ridgid tools I need. Anything else I buy will be larger, higher end stuff)

As to this forum, I liked it when it was dark. I found that by the time I read 20 new posts in this topic, my eyes hurt pretty bad.

Comment

Where did you see in print that TTI makes Senco?
                    Errr... in Brandman's post, in this thread, on Ridgid's website forum?

I'm guessing that their partnership with an international manufacturing concern gives them some insight into that partner's business. If you have info to the contrary, spill it. Otherwise I will take them at their word. You did know that One World Technology's CEO (Dennis Pinkleton) is a former Senco senior exec , right?

I'm thinking that if they wanted to make something up to impress us, they would have said NASA, or Bosch, or something.

Comment

Greg's Garage----first, I was actually agreeing with Mark's comment on the lifetime warranty---not laughing at you!-----But, did you ever really read the lifetime warranty? Believe me, if applied to my Homelite, it wouldn't have don't a bit of good. It strictly covered defects in workmanship---nothing mechanical---nothing from wear and tear. And as pointed out---most of the things covered would fail within a regular 3 year period----which don't get me wrong---is still above average---but even that---better read the fine print.

Mark----don't know how this company acquired either Senco or Homelite----if it was a straight buy-out and they left the companies to their own choices, that's one thing---but you'd have to admit this Ridgid deal is different-----it's licensing or whatever they're calling it---not a buy out of the Ridgid division or some such----
                      Dave

Comment

They just make stuff for Senco, they didn't acquire them. No one said they make ALL Senco's stuff, just some.

This kind of thing is really common and it is really surprising that some folks are having a hard time understanding it.

Some companies have manufacturing strengths in different areas, some have cool designs, others own channels of distribution or can guarantee shelf space for a certain brand.

"We" (edited to note that I mean my employer, not Ridgid) make some stuff for our competition. Marketing & Sales hate it, Manufacturing and Finance love it. We make some other stuff for other industries, because we have the technology and the capacity, but we don't market it (don't wanna, it's just found money for us). And so on.

If it sounds complicated, maybe we should just focus on the tools (when they come out).

TTI/OWT has been hugely successful by making good stuff (to spec) for "name" companies all over the world. I think I'm glad that they are helping Ridgid to stay in WW; they are quite a formidable resource.

Eager to see the tools.

[ 08-27-2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Mark IV ]

Comment

If it sounds complicated, maybe we should just focus on the tools (when they come out).

Amen, Mark IV. In my personal (and unasked for) opinion, amateur woodworkers place too much emphasis on what firm manufactures a product, too little on the product itself.

Chevrolet built Vegas at the same time they built Corvettes.

Dave
                          Color-blind

Comment

Originally posted by Mike3206:
                            Kelly, companies routinely make products for other companies and do not disclose who they are made for or by. A company I used to work for made the same product with 5 different paint jobs that sold at a price that was in some cases $150 difference from one brand to another. Do you think they put the actual mfg. on the box? They put their own name on the box because they are the ones who contracted for it.
                            I'd have to be pretty sheltered not to know that, but with tools, it's fairly well known who makes who. Senco's Duraspin screwguns "could" be made by TTI, but since I've never heard of them making air tools of any type, I tend to doubt anything else of Senco's is made by them.

Comment

Kelley, you implied on a post that you did not see anything on a mfgs web page that said someone else was making their products for them. I was just stating that most mfgs will not gloat about having someone else make their products for them. they usually just say that we make the product.

Comment

Working...
                              X