X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beadLock System

Hello Has anyone use the beadLock system for making tenons. I've read a little on it and I was thinking about using it on the face frame of some bookcases I'm going to be building but the tenon stock is to wide for the 1-1/2" stiles I'll be using. They say it can be used as a doweling jig as well. Woodcraft carrys it and you can get both the 3/8" & 1/2" system for about $50.00. That about the same as a doweling jig but it should do more. Just wondering if it's worth the money and if it does as good as job as they claim.
    Thanks
    Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Dan

The BL system is a good system that works. As to it being "worth" $50? Jury is out on that........
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Beadlock works great. It makes nice tight joints. It is kinda of pricey, especially if you buy the router bits. I think it is worth it for the ease of use alone.

Steve

Comment

Hi Dan

Here's a Woodshop Demo of John Lucas doing a demo of the Beadlock system for the first time. I tried the Beadlock system just to learn another joinery technique. Now, 95% of my mortise and joinery tasks are done with the Beadlock system.

Is it worth $47? Give me a break. It costs $300 for a dedicated Jet mortise machine with an extra set of chisels and another $100 for a Delta tenon machine. Yet loose tenons are as strong or stronger than regular tenons. When you compare cost, simple setup and strength, I just don't see how you can go wrong with the Beadlock system.

Suppose you need a rail for your table that is exactly 48 1/4" long. With a standard M&T, you have to add the length of each tenon to the rail length then cut to final length. Next you have to cut the cheek on the left to the exact width and the cheek on the right to the exact width so you will have the proper size tenons. Any errors on any of the 3 cuts will cause the rail to be too short or too long. With the Beadlock system you cut the rail to 48 1/4" and that's it. The standard method gives you 3 times the opportunity for error. BTW, did you ever try to cut a tenon with your Delta tenon jig on a 6' head board rail? Gee, now that's fun .

You do have to provide your own drill and 3/8" or 1/2" drill bits, however.

Tip: The jig is small so it needs to be clamped securely so it doesn't move during drilling. I use the clamp from my Kreg Pocket hole jig and have had no problems. Others have reported they use two "C" clamps to ensure the jig doesn't move. That's the only problem I've heard reported using Beadlock.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

Cheers

Art

Comment

Working...
        X