Cabots Stain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabots Stain?

Wondering if woodworkers or anyone else has any experience with this product?

Cabot Stains Semi-Transparent Deck and Siding Stain | Cabot

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Cabots Stain?

When I lived in Massachusetts, I used this stain on new cedar clapboard siding. It held up to the Massachusetts weather very well. I painted the window and door trim more often than re-stain the siding.

Comment

I have used it on our deck for the past 12 years. It's what the previous owner
      used and he recommended it highly and I have not been disappointed.

I've got over 1000 sf of deck and I re-stain about every 3 years.

Below: I got the guys at Langley to take this
      shot so you could see the deck from above.
      Name:  7fe70f9496ed80ea714cce5ff8ced0ee.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  25.3 KB
      Last edited by Bob D.; 06-12-2011, 05:21 AM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

When I provided solely painting/staining services I used Sherwin Williams paints and Cabot stains exclusively. Remember,w/ Cabot less is more.

Comment

I used it on my deck 2 years ago (first time I tried it). Followed the directions (brushed it in instead of spraying). It is still holding up well. I am happy with the results I got.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Just re-applied (with brush) it on my shed last week. The previous coat lasted over 15 years.
            Be sure to check the color on a piece of scrap wood. The color chips on cardboard/paper can be off.

Comment

I'm in MN and put it on my cedar deck, which was about 6 months old. I prepped exactly as the can said, applied in ideal condition and it didn't hold up. I got 1 year out of the flat surfaces and about 6 months more on the vertical surfaces. Maybe it was the harsh winter. I had better luck with Sherwin Williams, but I still have to do it every 18 months. Thinking of going with Sikkens next. I didnt' like the color of Behr when I tried it on a test sample.

Comment

I used Cabots solid stain (dark brown) on a new redwood shade structure. We sprayed it, and back rolled it. Anyplace where the sprinklers hit on the wood turned the stain white. I have not been back since to asses it or do any sort of repairs.

I don't have too much experience with exterior staining (for hire) but I have had so so luck with Sikkens Cetol SRD 250. The color I am using is "natural" (I think) and is translucent. This stuff is not so fun to work with, put it on too thick and it will develop a "skin" and underneath it the product will stay wet, eventually will dry but will look bad, and too thin, the sun burns thru it in 3-4 months. It is also easy to damage (scrape off the skin) until it hardens.

I find that I need a maintenance coat every 6 months, this summer will be coat #3. Hopefully the third coat on the horizontal surfaces will stop the burn thru I keep experiencing in a couple of areas.

If my customer had chosen a darker color I feel that the finish would last significantly longer, the pigment is supposed to help stop the sun from frying the wood so I have been told.

I used another Sikkens product on some teak outdoor furniture.
                First coat was Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss, second was Sikkens Cetol Marine Light. This finish was starting to fail after 4-5 months of being outside in the weather. Time for a maintenance coat before the sun fries the teak....

I don't think the process that was spec'd by the customer was correct, he wanted what he had laying around used first, the wife freaked out at the shine and wanted a matte finish, so the Marine Light was used as a second coat to dull the look of the finish. This stuff is impossible to touch up and have it look perfect either, I cringe when I see new scratches in it....

We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X