Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another round of "please tell Jim what kind of wood that is" ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another round of "please tell Jim what kind of wood that is" ?

OK, got some wood from a friend, No idea what it is, kinda need to know.

Took pictures outside in direct light 5 minutes ago.
    Name:  3cd39d4d13828fe46e588479451bede3.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  425.2 KBName:  9d43160e65fa92b4c58385336224ceac.jpg
Size:  289.7 KBName:  d1689f3439db95dc5d372ebf7ec8a621.jpg
Size:  422.6 KBName:  12a5fc1949abbf08f1f3dbb8305db548.jpg
Size:  487.5 KBName:  1ff3aa21c5098db3e41a130e09284a26.jpg
Size:  488.2 KBName:  6f4c3acebb625d0a17a5029a491b081c.jpg
Size:  433.5 KBName:  45060e0be7bcd5ba8c44e35c9bb3b6fe.jpg
Size:  371.5 KB

The black wood with the gorgeous grain, really no idea what it is. The red stuff, well someone told me bubinga, but then someone else said some species of mahogany, the brown with straight grain, I think.....key word.....I think is either a quartersawn oak maybe, or another type of mahogany, its rather plain, used it before. The lite whitish stuff, with swirls of purple and strong cathedral purple grain, got a lot of that, and finally the fairly whitestuff with almost straight grain, no clue, but I have a lot, I mean a lot of that I salvaged from a local guys firewood pile.

Please, help me out. I am species stupid big time. All I know is I love walnut, black walnut. And I like my yellow pecan.

Jim

Re: another round of "please tell Jim what kind of wood that is" ?

Not positive about any, but I think the 4th and 5th pics are padauk, the 6th is ash, and the 7th pic is cherry. Guessing that the 1st is rosewood. Best guess on the 2nd is purple heart. Is there any flecking on the side of the 3rd pic? ....think it might be white oak.

Comment

The lite whitish stuff, with swirls of purple and strong cathedral purple grain, got a lot of that
      That could be poplar.

6 looks like ash to me too.

7 is a piece of cherry i think also

are 1 and 2 walnut?

the others i don't recognize from the photos.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The 1st one does look like walnut.
        #2 could be purpleheart with mostly sap wood.
        If that last one is cherry, you should be able to tell by the smell.
        #3 could be oak, but not quarter sawn or you would see ray fleck.
        You can usually tell how it was cut by looking at the end grain.
        I, too love walnut, especially figured pieces. It takes on an
        almost 3-D quality when finished.
        Make something purty and post pics.

Comment

The coloring on the first pic made me think of black walnut initially, but all that straight grain got me wondering about rosewood....now I'm wondering about walnut again...

Comment

I know, I know.
            It's hard enough, at times when you've got it in your hand.
            I've got some off-cuts that were given to me that I can't identify.
            Some of the exotic stuff has a unique aroma.

Comment

Ok, pic 1 and 2 are the same piece, just a pic of the face, and a pic of the side grain.

Pic 3, well I still dont know.

4 and 5, those 2 red boards, one has a more straight grain, the other has odd grain with a shiny curly look

Pic 6, I thought was Hackberry, as I was trying to do some searching and the warty bark of Hackberry matches the warty bark on this wood.

Last pic,
              Well, I cant remember, I think the logs I got were fairly large at 12" in dia, didnt get to much of that, was more throw around scrap I used to get familiar with resawing.

Now, the odd stuff...

Pic 1 and 2, I cut that wood today for a project, it had a pleseant aroma that was unique, almost coffee like, but with maybe a dark chocolate and nutty smell, very strong, not annoying. The Walnut I get, doesnt do that. This stuff is amazing in person, the grain is just......wow, nothing like any walnut I have ever seen, the wood is almost totally ebony but with intense grain.

Pic 3, it works like walnut. cuts nice, planes nice, takes the router very easy, never chips out or explodes, or smacks me in the face.

The red boards, when you cut them or run them through the planer, its like super fine dust, and it stains everything. Its like someone dumped red kool aid all over the shop. it works nice, hard, but doesnt produce chips like other woods. the dust will stain.

Pic 5 of what yall think is ash and I thought was hackberry is one hard *** wood, I mean hard. hard, HARD. smells kinda like Boxelder, funky smell, not to pleasant to the nose.

Also, got a few logs of Oak that have this really cool black and brown, just......weird oak, beautiful because I hate all oaks as I find it bland, but this stuff.....wow.

And, the "Pecan" the local guy sold me, is yellow. Solid Yellow even after drying, yet my web searching shows me no yellow colored Pecan.

What is in my shop?

Comment

Working...
              X