Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on a sub-100 dollar dado blade set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, the product works, I've never lost a carbide, but I don't do much hardwood with my $20. set. I would have no qualms about using HF's $50. set (Badger Daves) for hardwood.
    Let me state one other thing, I have lost many carbide teeth off saw blades, but not my HF Dado. Also, router bits spin at roughly ten times the speed of a table saw, quite a difference! (and no, I don't work for HF! Lol!)
    \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
      I have the SD 206---though recent dado review in Wood magazine rated the SD 506 and Forrest as best with the 206 coming in behind it. If it were my money, I'd by the 206 and pass on the HF---Freud has a very reliable product---somehow, something made be HF spinning at 3400 rpm, with questionable carbide attachement---- I mean, it's not that much more money!
      I can tell you now that mine has lost two teeth and sits motionless on my workbench awaiting the day I decide to toss it. The set did produce nice flat bottom cuts until the fourth day I used it...never again!

HF is great for some things, but not for blades or power tools.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I bought the Avenger dado set from Woodcraft for $49 on sale a while back. I haven't used it a whole lot but it made some pretty good cuts on 3/4" birch ply. Anyone else tried this one?

Comment

I ended up getting the Freud SD208 from Amazon for about 75 bucks ( I had a 10 dollar coupon )

Thanks
          - Jimmy

Comment

I'm not sure if you've resolved your dado issue yet but man oh man... did I find a bargain! Paxton's has the Freud SD208 (8") for $69.00. I love the set-up and accuracy.

Comment

Don't worry about us resolving our web based discussions chum. We all know that Rockler is selling the SD 208 for $69 along with many others.

David

[ 10-23-2003, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Has anybody tried the new "Dial-a-Dado" from Frued?? I'm curious as to any pro's or cons.

Comment

Where can you buy a Freud dial dado blade for under $100?
                  ================================================== ====
                  All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

GEE How did you get the Badger moniker... HmmnH let me just suppose...nawh thad jus be mean... Anyway, I'm usually accused of being long winded so let me expound upon the reasons for the question. Would $50 to $75 over $100 be worth the Dial-a-Dado or should I go for the conventional set for less money & try to capture some shop elves when Norm's not looking. As to $$$ for a dial a dado I really don't know what the $$$ is right now but I just saw the ad in Wood Magazine & am curious how it would stand up against the others

Comment

The subject of this thread was dado sets under the cost of $100. Your response had nothing whatsoever to do with that. I just get a little tired of seeing threads constantly being hijacked all the time. If you have a question and it doesn't fall under the realm of the subject matter, start your own thread. It's not my fault if you're so thin skinned that my tongue in cheek response hit a nerve. After all, it's not like I called you names or questioned your heritage.
                      ================================================== ====
                      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I have purchased a HF 8" dado blade and I am looking to upgrade to [likely] a Freud. I was impressed with $19 HF dado. You will still need to do a little chiseling with the HF. I purchased the HF to learn on so as to not tear up an $$$ dado set.
                        Steve

Comment

Dear Badger Dave,
                          Please accept my sincere, honest apologies for in anyway causing you to believe that I called you a name or inferred your heritage was derived from a badger. Please also accept my apology for "hijacking" a thread. In all honesty, I still haven't been able to find a price on the dial-a-dado rig & therefore am still ignorant as to whether or not I was "off-topic" in regards to discussing the merits of the dial-a-dado under a subtext heading of a dado cutter discussion. Furthermore, there has never been a "thin-skinned" chef IMHO & if there was he'd be a waiter by now. My posts & responses are generally always "tongue in cheek" as you say. From time to time however, my dry sarcasm doesn't always translate to the written word. SO, no harn no foul, no offense taken, can't we all just get along, & whatever other trite cliche may apply to this situation...Okay???

Comment

If you price match the Freud SD208 at Home Depot, which they usually sell for $95, you'll get it at $70 minus 10% price match equals $63 plus tax- pretty nice little deal. Just a tad cheaper than getting it from Amazon/Tool Crib for $70 and no shipping or tax.

Just be sure to bug customer service enough to match the internet price. Only one person in the store knew they could do that when I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefHDAN:
                              Has anybody tried the new "Dial-a-Dado" from Frued?? I'm curious as to any pro's or cons.
                              I went to the AFWS show in Anaheim this year and hit the Freud booth the first day. I liked the idea of the Dial-A-Dado, but when i asked the rep about it, it wasn't something that would work with my equipment. If I remember correctly, it's not made for a 10" table saw. If someone else knows more, please correct me or fill me in. That's the way I remember it.
                              Genghis

Comment

Carefull Genghis, Badger will blow a nut if he sees you hijacking the woodworking forum by talking about woodworking instead of chewing someone out in public. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X