Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on a sub-100 dollar dado blade set?

Anyone have a recommendation on a sub-$100 dado blade set?

- Jimmy

Hold the tar and feathers PLEASE but I have had very excellent results with the 8" stacked dado set from Harbor Freight. The set I'm talking about is their PN 44566. It normally sells for $60 but can often be found on sale for $29.99. The set consists of two 42 tooth outer blades, four 1/8" 6 tooth chippers and one 1/16" 6 tooth chipper. It also comes with a set of shims. The blades are C2 carbide tipped. I use them in oak, pine and plywood and along with getting a flat bottomed cut there is little or no tearout. A word of caution for some saw owners, this set is rated for a max. of 4500 RPM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How fast is the 3612 run, can this dada set be used w/ it?

TIA
      -J

Comment

Thats the saw I have. Runs at 3450 RPM.

Comment

JIP,

I have the Freud 506 model rather than the Freud 206 shown, but this one also got good reviews. I am very happy with mine.
          freud dado

Bob R

Comment

I'll second the HF cheapie. I did 2k board feet with mine and it held up well.
            \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

I have the SD 206---though recent dado review in Wood magazine rated the SD 506 and Forrest as best with the 206 coming in behind it. If it were my money, I'd by the 206 and pass on the HF---Freud has a very reliable product---somehow, something made be HF spinning at 3400 rpm, with questionable carbide attachement---- I mean, it's not that much more money!
              Dave

Comment

I'll agree with Badger Dave. This particular $30 set from HF produces good tear-free flat dados. Naturally, it's made in China, this and the C2 rather than C3 carbide, are the reasons for the much lower cost.

Haven't heard of anyone having a tooth come off yet Dave! Of course I only use mine once a month or so, if it were on a weekly basis I'd also head for the Freud's.

David

Comment

I’d steer clear of Sears, I have their 7-inch set and the blades have a slightly larger diameter than the chippers resulting in a groove on each side of the bottom of your dado.

Woodslayer

Comment

The set that HD sells for $90 has gotten good reviews in mags. I think it was the 508, but I'm not positive. I own one and like it a lot. Next step up for me is the Superdado for $150 something at Amazon

Comment

"Haven't heard of anyone having a tooth come off yet Dave! Of course I only use mine once a month or so, if it were on a weekly basis I'd also head for the Freud's."

Yea, but David---do you want to be the first----would take body piercing to a new level!
                      Dave

Comment

Dave, have you seen my body recently...anything could be an improvement!!

David

Comment

daveferg,

Besides you, who has questioned the carbide attachment? As I use this set, I'd really be interested to confirm if this is or isn't a legitimate criticism.

Dave

Comment

Badger (all these Daves and Davids )

I've read numerous books, articles and heard comments from mfgs reps about the different grades of carbide (and those used by Chinese mfgs) as well as the quality of attachment. On other ww'ing forums have read about carbides coming off saw blades and router bits, on these cheapo products.

To me, it's very simple----if HF sells a dado set for 1/3rd the price of the Freud----do you REALLY believe it's all to do with the cost of a name brand???

I may buy some things at HF, but I don't buy stuff which will be running at 3400 rpm or have to withstand thousands of pounds of weight, etc. Just not a smart choice IMHO!
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:To me, it's very simple----if HF sells a dado set for 1/3rd the price of the Freud----do you REALLY believe it's all to do with the cost of a name brand???
                              Of course not Dave, it's not only the cost of a brand name, it's also the cost of packaging, choice of carbide used, labor and probably grade of steel used.

We could debate this till the cows come home and not get anywhere but I still feel this set is a good set for under $100 which was the original question asked by the poster.

Even though I have never heard or seen a report of a lawsuit concerning the tips flying off of a HF PN44566 Dado Set I will in the future check my blades before using. And for what its worth, I make it a rule never to believe a word of what a Mfg. Rep. has to say about a competitors product.

[ 09-04-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]

Comment

Working...
                              X