X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a Nice Jack Plane on eBay

Today, 6/19, there is a nice Miller Falls #14 jack plane for sale. This is equivalent to a Stanley #5.
    Miller Falls tools from this era were well made and respectable planes, this one looks to be in very good shape.

If someone were looking for their first plane a jack or smoother are usually the first ones to get. This plane would be a great start or addition to your plane collection. And I mean collection as in a set of working tools, not show pieces. I buy old tools like this to use, not to put on a shelf and collect dust.

I know nothing about the seller and have no connection with the sale, just passing the info on for anyone to act on should they be looking for a nice hand plane. I have a saved search on eBay that looks for Stanley planes. I'm looking for a nice scraper and a scrub plane right now.

Right now the bidding is at $31, and the auction closes in a few hours. From looking at the photos I would go as high as 45 or 50 for myself but that is all I am willing to pay for a plane in this size and condition. There are just so many out there that you can surely find another within a day or two. Besides I have 3 Stanley #5s now. And to give you an idea none are in as good condition as this one but they are all good workers. I paid from $5, $11, and $25 for the three I have. Only the $5 one took some work to clean up some minor rust and drop a new iron in it.

Anyway, if you're looking here it is.

MILLERS FALLS NO 14 JACK PLANE FINE. | eBay

If you really want a Stanley, here's one that ends today also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-5-JACK-P...item4cf7e60bb4
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Saw a Nice Jack Plane on eBay

Well, the Miller Falls plane went for $45.50, just about where I expected.

The second plane is up to $32, and it will probably go for about the same price.
    I actually bid on this one. What the heck, its a nice plane if I can get it under $40.
    I'll give it to my SIL or my brother if I should win it.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    ---------
    ---------

Comment

hope you get it,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

No such lick, I missed on all the items I bid on. But I don't follow them at the end when it counts. I throw a dart and if I get it then I get it, if not no harm done.

I also bid on a Craftsman labeled Stanley #45 multi plane which was in excellent condition. Now that I would admit I would not use much it would sit on the shelf but if I had been willing to set my max bid a little higher I would have had it. It went for $75.50 About 20 years ago the Clifton version of the #45 was selling new for $645.00. I think they stopped production a couple years after that as I no longer saw it listed in the catalog.
        ---------------
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

I do not use my hand planes much, but there fun and a joy to use when I do use them, I have a project I started and need to finish, that will use them a lot,

using hand tools is really an art, just about any one can put a board up on a properly adjusted jointer and shave off some and have it square, but to use hand planes to smooth up a table top or to joint board for gluing up, or even using thumb planes for musical instruments,

to have the tool sharp and properly adjusted, and just shaving off micro thin ribbons of wood, either squaring it up or taking saw cuts out of it, gives a whole new meaning of wood working,

even using a scraper instead of sand paper or a sander to smooth wood is fun as well,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just to give you an idea of the price difference the Stanley name on one of these old planes can bring, today a Stanley #45 in excellent condition; only slightly better if better at all from the photos of the Craftsman I mentioned yesterday in this thread; brought $165 vice the $75.50 that the Craftsman labeled (made by Stanley and same quality as their own line) multi-plane plane auction closed at.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

I grabbed a very nice Millers Falls #14 a while back for ~ $50. Nice plane.

Comment

All the old planes I find either at the junkyard or at old folks yard sales usually have a battleship amount of rust on them. I stopped collecting them once I had 5 or 6 of them. Never found the time to restore them, and never needed them (pesky power plane....)
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X