Waxing the tabletop and rails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing the tabletop and rails

I have a question regarding waxing the table top and rails; I realize this maybe a little repetitive. I currently just use paste wax on the table top and rails but I am going to start putting down T-9 and then paste wax. But my question is, does anybody put T-9 on the rails and rip fence or do you just use paste wax on these? Will the T-9 product stain or damage the aluminum rails and fence?

The primary reason to use T-9 or any of the other products like it is to prevent rust. No real benefit to use it on the rails or the fence. Paste wax on the other hand will make the aluminum more slippery which is a good thing.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Dave is corect, as usual of course. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Now, I used T9 for the first time just after getting the 3650 a few weeks ago. Better not do what I did.
      Directions said for a heavy coat, put it on heavy and let it sit. So, that's what I did, real heavy, I mean real heavy. Let her sit overnight and went out the next morning expecting to find my shiny new saw slick as owl you-know-what and purring thanks, Ken, I needed that!
      What I found was a very sad looking new 3650 with thick sticky yucky stuff on the top. A Hummer couldn't have moved in that gook.
      Stripped it off with spirits (not easy, by the way). Coated it good with Johnsons wax, cussed the T9 can and stuck it in the back of the shelf in shame.
      Last week I decided to have another go with my $15 can of T9. I took the wax off and squirted a rag with T9 and applied a thin, I mean very thin, coat and waited for it to dry. I did three light coats like this and am very happy with the results.

By the way, how often should T9 be applied? My saw top is beginning to look like it wants another rubbing session.
      ken
      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Ken, I don't use the T9 myself but for the short period of time you've had your 3650 I wouldn't think that you need to redo it yet. If you do, I think I would put the T9 back on the shelf and look for a different product.

From reading many threads on this subject, I get the impression that alot depends on the climate a TS is in when it comes to the effectiveness of these rust preventors. What works well in WI may not work as well in FL.

I've gotten very good results using a product called TopCote in unison with Johnsons' Paste Wax. About twice a year, I strip the saw top. Then, I apply a coat of TopCote followed by two or three coats of paste wax. I've never had a speck of rust form on my cast iron using this method. YRMV

FWIW, TopCote is made by a company called Bostik. I know for sure that Lee Valley sells it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, as far as "Dave is correct, as usual of course". Well, all I can say to that is, you haven't been visiting here all that long have you???

[ 11-09-2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:

Almost forgot, as far as "Dave is correct, as usual of course". Well, all I can say to that is, you haven't been visiting here all that long have you???
          That's right, Dave. That's why I'm 'sucking up' to the ole timers, er, forum wise, ole timers.
          ken
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I live in mich. and my shop is in the garage.I have tried alot of things over the years to stop rust.The only thing i have found that works is bostic top coat.Spray it on let it dry for about 10 mins,and buff with a rag.I do this about every two months,also I put baby powder on the top(just a light dusting)about once a month.I cover the saw with a 1/8 piece of plywood.Have not had rust since i started doing this and my 3650ts looks like new and wood just glides on it.On other tools like my drill press clean the rust with kerosene and steel wool,wipe dry and use bostic top coat.On the parts not used like the floor plate and stand spray it with a clear coat plastic. good luck (my sears bandsaw 30yrs old no rust on it)

Comment

I also live in Michigan and have a couple questions. Do you use any paste wax after you coat it with TopCote or is that what the baby powder is for?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi all,
                I looked around for Johnsons Paste Wax and the T-9 stuff, but I can't find it. I even looked in Walmart, and when I asked an associate I got the deer in the headlights look...like me on Mondays...Where can I find this stuff, exactly? Thanks in advance!

Jalon

Comment

mike I dont use wax , the top cote is all you need it really works. As far as the powder i was told that it absorbs any dampness well and make the wood slide nice.

Comment

Believe it or not but I already had some rust on my saw (1 month old) only using paste wax. I bought some rustfree and t-9 and went to work. I used the rustfree and a gray pad to remove the rust. After cleaning off the rustfree I noticed scratches everywhere on the top. Is this normal and will it cause any problems?

After I cleaned it up on put on several coats of t-9 and then paste wax. I am happy with the results except for the scratches.

Comment

I use Johnson's paste wax. I found it at Wal Mart near the cleaning supplies.

Comment

Working...
                      X