X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with rust

Here we go again with Michigan winter(YUCK!). Anyways,has anybody found a product that dramatically helps with rust on the machine tops? The weather here can be up and down, I can't keep up with rust at times! For now I use paste wax,it works good as long as you don't do alot of woodworking!

George
    Woodcraft has a product called T-9 that is suppose to help with rust protection. I have never used it personally as I have had good luck with paste wax. You can go their website at www.woodcraft.com and check it out. Hope this helps. Dave

Comment

Hey George from Michigan,

I read your post about the flip top stand and, being from Michigan as well, wondered if you could recommend and good sources for rough lumber.

As far as the rust, I just keep up with the paste wax and haven't had any problems.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

Henry, If you can, go to Armstrong millworks in Highland. I have gone to a few other places, but they don't compare to Armstrong!!! They are on M-59 and Hickory Ridge Rd. (248)887-1037. If you're anywhere near it you will NOT be dissapointed! Their variety is incredible(size and species) and their prices are the best!

Comment

Go to Lee Valley, they have a wax in a tube for surfaces that works wonders.

Comment

I have had very good luck with a product called Top-Cote.
            It's a spray can product which dries very hard on the surface, seals and makes the tables very slippery. Get the big can, you'll like it!

Comment

WAMAN, where did you buy it?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Try Klingspor under shop helpers/lubricants
                http://www.woodworkingshop.com

[ 11-08-2002, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Bob S ]

Comment

Dave:
                  I got it at Spokane Power Tools but found it by calling several places. HD didn't even know what I was talking about!
                  Way back when, I used to use liquid floor wax, if you don't use a HARD wax it just rubs off.

Comment

Bob S & WaMan;
                    Thanks for the info. I think I'll give this stuff a try. I like the idea of just spraying it on. Anything that is a time saver when it comes to maintenance is definately worth a look see.
                    Dave.

[ 11-09-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

George,

I use T-9 as both a cleaner and protectant on my TS2424 and just about every other piece of metal in my shop.

I highly recommend getting a dehumidifier as well.

I see them at garage sales all the time. Average cost runs $10-15. Bets the $125-150 in the retail stores.

Hope this helps.

Comment

There is a product called Corrosion-X that we saltwater fisherman swear by. I put some on my TS3612 table top. The only rust that has developed came from sweaty palms applied to the top before the Corrosion-X = and most of the discoloration rubbed out.

If you can't find some, I maybe can help find you a source.

Not affiliated, happy user, yadda yadda

Curt

Comment

Working...
                        X