X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teak or Mahogany?

What's best for outdoor furniture, Teak or Mahogany?

Something else better?

Thanks for all ideas.

J.C.

Re: Teak or Mahogany?

teak, but you still need to oil it. don't varnish it or you'll always have to stay on top of the varnish.

what's better. pvc

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Redwood. In the south, it's Cyprus.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ipe. sometimes called brazilian mahogany. wears like iron. so dense it doesn't float. a little pricey and it doesn't accept stains terribly well. in terms of synthetics, rick is on the money.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I used cedar to make this glider from plans in the July issue of Wood magazine.
          Got about $200 in lumber, hardware, including the glider brackets, stain.
          You're only limited by how much money you want to spend.
          I like cedar 'cause it's available locally, not to costly, easy to work with,
          takes stain well, holds up in this harsh climate.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks all. Nice bench glider Jim.

Where do ya'll get your specialty woods?

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              I used cedar to make this glider from plans in the July issue of Wood magazine.
              Got about $200 in lumber, hardware, including the glider brackets, stain.
              You're only limited by how much money you want to spend.
              I like cedar 'cause it's available locally, not to costly, easy to work with,
              takes stain well, holds up in this harsh climate.
              Jim You do Awesome work ! Like the deck, and miters on step.
              This is is My 48th year as a carpenter, and cabinetmaker.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I like both and Redwood. I have Two big -36" diameter redwood trees cut up to 12'
                lengths,at My Const. Yard.Waiting for New friend to return from Montana to Mill with His Lucas Portable saw Mill.Then air dry . Mom's gonna get some killer red wood furniture. Son Brian will Have fun also! He has surpassed Me on Cabinet and furniture
                Making.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I like teak for outdoor furniture. It will last the longest, and to my eye looks the best. I've heard good things about ipe, but haven't used it. Unfortunately teak, at least here, costs a fortune. Rick is right on... oil often, but stay away from any clear coat like varnish, marine varnish, polyurethane etc. You will be a slave to it, and besides, oil looks best.

Comment

I like mahogany out of your two choices. Cypress is very good and very affordable. White oak is also an excellent choice for outdoor use. You can oil it or let if weather and it won't blow over in the wind!

Red
                    Red

Comment

You can order online, but I prefer to find a lumber yard that deals in hardwoods.
                      Even if you have to drive a little, it's worth it to be able to pick put exactly what you need,
                      plus the prices are usually better.

Comment

Working...
                      X