wood is developing twist using planner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood is developing twist using planner

The boards are developing a twist in them when I use my planner. Blades are fine and checked level of in and out support platforms.

Originally posted by pmarley:
    The boards are developing a twist in them when I use my planner. Blades are fine and checked level of in and out support platforms.
    Could you please explain what is happening a little better!

The jointer will not cause a board to warp/twist/bow etc.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

If you are planing boards and seeing a twist after it runs through the thickness planer, it could be one of two things. First, the board could be twisted before planing. A thickness planer will not take the twist out of a piece of stock.

If the boards are twisting after they are planed, it may be the internal stresses of the stock showing up. Make sure you plane both sides of the board evenly to minimize this effect.

Jake

Comment

To add to what Jake said----from my own experience, if you're thickness planning or ripping boards---particularly narrow stock for use in a project, such as door rails/stiles or molding, etc. It's a good idea to let them sit for a day or two after you've got them to your final size---as Jake said, you may have released internal wood tension, and I've found this can take place over time, instead of immediatly.
        Dave

Comment

One more suggestion is to run one side of the material through the jointer to establish a flat point of reference. Now run the material through the thickness planer with the flat side down.

Comment

Working...
          X