Cutiting Wood Veneer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutiting Wood Veneer

Any tips of getting nice clean cuts and keeping straight edges. I have tried a utility knife - that did not work well. A pair of scissors works well but it is hard to keep the edge free of jagged marks.

Re: Cutiting Wood Veneer

A veneer saw is what you want. About $15 bucks at various woodworking stores.

Big G

Comment

I saw somewhere recently a rotary cutter like those used for cutting cloth when sewing
      being used for cutting veneer. Seemed like a good idea to me but I have not tried it.

Fiskars makes a couple with different diameter wheels, smaller wheels allow for tighter turns
      just like a thinner bandsaw blades does. Most times we want a straight cut so probablt the 2"
      wheel is what you want to try. You can find them in WalMart, HD, and craft centers for under $10
      The wheels are super sharp. The wife has one she uses for quilting and loves it. Might be worth a try
      if you have one around the house. All it could cost you is a new blade which are around $4 each.

Rotary Cutters and Blades / Sewing and Quilting Tools | Fiskars

I think whatever you use your cut edge is not going to be usable without some post processing.
      Clamp the mating edges between some 3/4 stock such that the pressure is applied along the full
      length, then use a block plane to shave the edges true to each other.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 07-24-2011, 05:54 AM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I clamp mine with 3/4 like Bob said... then use my router and flush cut bit.

Comment

Working...
        X