X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutiting Wood Veneer

Any tips of getting nice clean cuts and keeping straight edges. I have tried a utility knife - that did not work well. A pair of scissors works well but it is hard to keep the edge free of jagged marks.

Re: Cutiting Wood Veneer

A veneer saw is what you want. About $15 bucks at various woodworking stores.

Big G

Comment

I saw somewhere recently a rotary cutter like those used for cutting cloth when sewing
      being used for cutting veneer. Seemed like a good idea to me but I have not tried it.

Fiskars makes a couple with different diameter wheels, smaller wheels allow for tighter turns
      just like a thinner bandsaw blades does. Most times we want a straight cut so probablt the 2"
      wheel is what you want to try. You can find them in WalMart, HD, and craft centers for under $10
      The wheels are super sharp. The wife has one she uses for quilting and loves it. Might be worth a try
      if you have one around the house. All it could cost you is a new blade which are around $4 each.

Rotary Cutters and Blades / Sewing and Quilting Tools | Fiskars

I think whatever you use your cut edge is not going to be usable without some post processing.
      Clamp the mating edges between some 3/4 stock such that the pressure is applied along the full
      length, then use a block plane to shave the edges true to each other.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 07-24-2011, 06:54 AM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I clamp mine with 3/4 like Bob said... then use my router and flush cut bit.

Comment

Working...
        X