Rigid customer service agreement sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rigid customer service agreement sucks

the planer the lifetime warranty did get registered, the table saw did not, same info mailed in but the table saw only got registered for three year warranty. when I called they said the proof of purchase wasn't in the package. I had put it in and double checked and my wife had also gone through and double checked before it was mailed.

Comment

Hopefully you had made copies of everything for your own records and can produce replacements for CS. If you did not save them for yourself, maybe you should add that procedure to future purchases to avoid these kind of problems.

Every purchase I make that is a tool, appliance, or anything else of value gets its own file on the computer. Especially receipts, warranty, manuals (usually found on-line for easy downloading into the file), and any other pertinent information that may be needed at a later date. Has saved me a BUNCH of grief and money when the unexpected happens or someone on the other end doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

I always come well armed with all possible information from my files.

Ron

Comment

that is what I didn't do, which I will in the future.

which I do need to add that the customer service has always been helpful and fast response to e mails when I've had trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by dat View Post
          that is what I didn't do, which I will in the future.

which I do need to add that the customer service has always been helpful and fast response to e mails when I've had trouble.

So, they tell you that you didn't enclose the "proof of purchase".... OK, so what are your options NOW? Are you just letting this go, or are you going to send them whatever was missing, and did they give you this option?

I also copy everything and I never send the original of any receipt for anything that I buy and have to register, I don't care who that company might be... the original receipt is your proof and never should be released to anyone. Ridgid registration only stipulates a "copy".

But, you really should follow through... unless you paid cash, you should have a cancelled check or credit card receipt and with that you should be able to either provide that to Ridgid Customer Support or to Home Depot to get a new receipt so that you can be properly registered. If, as you say, you did send in the receipt, then somehow it got lost in the activity or registration. Either way, you should have some option here, especially since they told you that you were "missing" the receipt... does that mean that they affirmed receiving everything else required?

One of the problem that I see here is that Ridgid apparently doesn't have responsibility for contacting a customer to let them know they have received a registration, but are lacking something. While I can understand them not wanting to invest in that kind of activity, there certainly should be some avenue of notice to let a customer know.... perhaps a notice on your "dashboard" of the missing item and/or an E-mail notice similar to what forum members get when they have a message.

In any case, I wouldn't let this go because somehow they missed your receipt... you should certainly be able to fulfill that need in some way.

CWS

Comment

Whenever I purchase a tool or device that requires an original receipt for warranty registration; I simply ask the
            check out clerk to print out a second receipt....This way I have two original receipts.

Most of the time this request has never been denied.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              So, they tell you that you didn't enclose the "proof of purchase".... OK, so what are your options NOW? Are you just letting this go, or are you going to send them whatever was missing, and did they give you this option?

I also copy everything and I never send the original of any receipt for anything that I buy and have to register, I don't care who that company might be... the original receipt is your proof and never should be released to anyone. Ridgid registration only stipulates a "copy".

But, you really should follow through... unless you paid cash, you should have a cancelled check or credit card receipt and with that you should be able to either provide that to Ridgid Customer Support or to Home Depot to get a new receipt so that you can be properly registered. If, as you say, you did send in the receipt, then somehow it got lost in the activity or registration. Either way, you should have some option here, especially since they told you that you were "missing" the receipt... does that mean that they affirmed receiving everything else required?

One of the problem that I see here is that Ridgid apparently doesn't have responsibility for contacting a customer to let them know they have received a registration, but are lacking something. While I can understand them not wanting to invest in that kind of activity, there certainly should be some avenue of notice to let a customer know.... perhaps a notice on your "dashboard" of the missing item and/or an E-mail notice similar to what forum members get when they have a message.

In any case, I wouldn't let this go because somehow they missed your receipt... you should certainly be able to fulfill that need in some way.

CWS

pretty much let it go after many phone calls and e mails. I didn't make any copies and sent them the original on everything. I marked it up to a lesson learned

they have it down as a three year warranty but wouldn't put the lifetime on it. seems to me if they have enough information to have it registered in my name as a three year warranty, they would have enough to register it as a lifetime. but they didn't

Comment

Sometimes a Line needs to be drawn. Not always popular when you find yourself on the wrong side.

Comment

really smart businesses try to find a way to keep the customers on the "they took care of me" side of the line.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hi Tech,
                    I'm really surprised that anyone has had a problem with getting a tool fixed. I've had two minor problems in the last year, and considered both repairs to be my own problem, and Rigid stood by me all the way. Sorry to hear of your incident. Try calling back, and remain calm and polite. Then if you don't get satisfaction, ask for a supervisor. They tend to be more helpful. Main thing is to remain calm and polite. It works.

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
                      The first thing I noticed is that on your receipts there is not the required arrow or highlight of the item to have the LSA applied to. I know that sounds like a petty omission, but it is one of the things that is stated to do. Don't know whether that could of been the problem, but after all, it is their instructions to do that.
                      Why on earth would that "arrow or highlight" maneuver on the warranty card have to be a customer-select option? Who in their right mind would NOT want the LSA?

Seems as if the card-fillout arrangement is designed to have some customers accidentally miss seeing the fine print and therefore not signifying that they wanted the LSA, which would get Ridgid off of the legal hook should a claim be made.

If anybody is being "petty," it is Ridgid with the design of that card.

Incidentally, I own a LOT of Ridgid tools and am happy as can be with them. Fortunately, none have malfunctioned, so any warranty issues for me do not exist. At least, so far.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Re: Rigid customer service agreement sucks home depot sucks not ridgid

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                        TTI purcased Milwaukee and AEG from Atlas-Copco in 2005. The Ridgid electric tools are based on AEG design. They share almost nothing with Milwaukee and nothing at all with Ryobi. Milwaukee is the upper-line, Ridgid/AEG is the midline, and Ryobi is the Johnny Homeowner line. Completely different tools targeted at completely different users.

BTW, I worked for Milwaukee until 2008.
                        I once read a review of a Ryobi sliding compound miter saw that, except for the colors (it had the Ryobi colors), was the spitting image of the now-discontinued Ridgid 12-inch slider. This was an Austrailian review, but it does show that there is some product sharing between Ridgid and Ryobi, at least outside of the USA.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Originally posted by ezab View Post
                          I have had horrible luck with Ridgid and will never purchase another tool from them. After installing a door at my house with my drill, I tried charging the battery and it would not charge. I contacted Ridgid, the brought the tools to the "Service Center". They tell me "the charger is good, but your battery and the motor in your drill is bad". They then go on to tell me my LIFETIME WARRANTY is void because they don't make 14.4V tools anymore. I have never been more frustrated in my life.
                          Yeah, the 14.4-volt issue is serious for some users, but the 12-volt thing also has me worried. I have an older Ridgid 12-volt drill (very nice) and their 12-volt low-profile impact wrench (also very nice), and three of their (so far) good NiCad batteries for that pair. If batteries start to crash I may be in trouble keeping those tools in operation, because I sure am not seeing any 12-volt batteries of that style in Home Depot these days.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Originally posted by Pet View Post
                            I can understand the reason for sending in the original UPC receipt and cut out from the original package in order to register Ridgid tools.
                            What I don't understand is the reason RIGID requests we mail in the online printout of the online registration page showing name, addr, and tools registered when you have already registered the tools directly online. The page they want you to mail-in already has all of this information entered online. So why the double registration... i.e. first online followed by mail? Please explain???
                            The idea is to get your attention with the ad about the warranty, get you to then buy the tool with the idea that it must be pretty super if it has a lifetime warranty, and then make it so difficult to implement the warranty process that you give up and move on. Hopefully, the tool will work just fine, with no operational breakdown before you drop it on a concrete floor and it breaks that way.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Tell me about it. After purchasing a drill back in October of 2011 and sending all the required information and registering on line, I was told the information was never received. Fortunately I had kept a copy so I took pictures of all the batteries, charger and drill, send copy of upc and bill and wrote a letter of consideration. I was just told by a "barely able to speak English" service rep that my request was denied because I had failed to send in the information. What a crock. This is the last time I buy Ridgid tools. Very disappointed by their poor customer service. The tool was never abused and always cleaned and stored properly. LSA SUCKS

Comment

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I had recommended, to my neighbor, the R 4511 . He had his garnet table crack last winter in his unheated garage shop. He went through all the hoops with customer service with out any luck. He was told that it was not covered for use in cold climates like Michigan. No one could site where the operating and storage temperatures could be found in any official warranty information.

So he took Ridged to small claims court. Under the law he sited Home Depot as the perching source and Ridged's listed Michigan's sales rep and the store he got the saw from was served. He also filed a subpoena for the manager of Home Depot. At court no one from Ridged appeared. The suit was for the repair or comperable replacement plus $200 for assembly and $600 for loss of income for not having the saw.

Well, the judge asked the sales man from Home Depot about the saw and Ridged's warranty. He gave the salesman's official, as printed in Home Depots training manual, what the what to tell the customer. The judge asked two question of him. "How are the saws shipped? Are the trucks that transport the saws heated in the winter? The judge found Ridged guilty for not showing up and and violation of it's warranty, in favor of the claimant for $1,200 plus costs Which included $125 for the witness's lost time and travel.

That's not all folks. It gets better. The court notified the Ridged's agent, as listed in Michigan. Thirty days later the court doubled the fine for not filing an appeal or paying the fine. Ten days later my neighbor got a check for $ $2,790. To top it all off a truck delivered him a new R4512 and the delivery men assembled it!

P.S. Michigan has the strongest Warranty laws in the nation.
                                Last edited by woodturner2006; 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X