X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see where you do some of your best work at home

Thought it would be interesting to see some of your at home shops where you do some of your best work.

This is mine.

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

Will have to add another post for the rest of them.

Attached Files

Re: Let's see where you do some of your best work at home

Ereops,

WOW! I'm impressed with the size of your shop and the open space. What are the dimensions, if you don't mind? I also love that nice high ceiling and you've got a nice selection of tools.

I'll have to update my photos and post, maybe in a week or so. I've got a new woodworking bench coming in at the end of the week and I'll want to get that setup first. My shop is in the basement, in two adjoining rooms, and only measures 11-1/2 x 23 in total. The ceiling at best is 6' 3" except where the rooms join and because of the ducting, that part measures only 5' 7"....DUCK! Not a lot of room and it's crammed to the point where I still have a Ridgid thickness planer and jointer that are sitting out in the garage NIB!

I do have a 2-stall garage with a side an 8 ft wide side addition, but the roof is leaking on one side and the addition is in very poor shape and not built right to begin with. I've schedule for a roof repair next month but at the moment I've contemplating whether or not to pull the money out of the 401K to put down a new concrete pad to widen the garage addition to a total of 12ft wide and then spend the fall and winter making that into the shop. It would give me anymore room than I presently have, but at least I could use the garage area for an assembly area which I can't do without rearranging things in the basement.

In my basement shop I have my table saw, small band saw, router table, RAS, drill press, compressor, and an assortment of handtools, drawer units, hardware storage, shelving, folding benches, and lumber storage. I have to keep my CMS and folding stand in another area for storage when not in use. Not much room to manuever.

Thanks for the photos, you shop is envious,

CWS

Comment

First Bob shows us pictures of his beautiful new Unisaw and now this magnificient shop setup. That is one great setup you got there Ireops. Does anyone know where my wife hid the phone number of my banker?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

great looking shop, too clean, looks like you spend more time sweeping than working,

jsut going to sugest that you either chain you O2 tank to the wall or cap it,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Ereops,

WOW! I'm impressed with the size of your shop and the open space. What are the dimensions, if you don't mind? I also love that nice high ceiling and you've got a nice selection of tools.

CWS
          It's 25' X 25' with a 8½' ceiling. Only thing missing in the photos are the MS1290LZA 12" sliding cmpnd Miter Saw w/adj Laser mounted on the AC9945 Acc-Mobile Miter Saw. Even though it seems like a good size for a work shop, there are times when I wish it was a little bit larger, as is probably the case for everyone.

Still interested in seeing what others have to work in.

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 07-28-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            great looking shop, too clean, looks like you spend more time sweeping than working,

I agree, a nice workshop with lots of bench space which is great.

Actually both should be done. Caps on both bottles when not in use and secured or mounted in a cart at all times is the safe way and though OSHA regulations don't apply to home shops that would be the requirement if this were a shop that was covered by OSHA.

What is that in front of the Acetylene bottle, an electric space heater? It would be good to move the bottles away from the door because if a fire should start they could block your exit from the building.
            1926.350(a)(11) Inside of buildings, cylinders shall be stored in a well-protected, well-ventilated, dry location, at least 20 feet (6.1 m) from highly combustible materials such as oil or excelsior. Cylinders should be stored in definitely assigned places away from elevators, stairs, or gangways. Assigned storage places shall be located where cylinders will not be knocked over or damaged by passing or falling objects, or subject to tampering by unauthorized persons. Cylinders shall not be kept in unventilated enclosures such as lockers and cupboards.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I agree, a nice workshop with lots of bench space which is great.

Actually both should be done. Caps on both bottles when not in use and secured or mounted in a cart at all times is the safe way and though OSHA regulations don't apply to home shops that would be the requirement if this were a shop that was covered by OSHA.

What is that in front of the Acetylene bottle, an electric space heater? It would be good to move the bottles away from the door because if a fire should start they could block your exit from the building.
              1926.350(a)(11) Inside of buildings, cylinders shall be stored in a well-protected, well-ventilated, dry location, at least 20 feet (6.1 m) from highly combustible materials such as oil or excelsior. Cylinders should be stored in definitely assigned places away from elevators, stairs, or gangways. Assigned storage places shall be located where cylinders will not be knocked over or damaged by passing or falling objects, or subject to tampering by unauthorized persons. Cylinders shall not be kept in unventilated enclosures such as lockers and cupboards.
              Actually, the two tanks in the corner that you see are about 35 years old and completely empty, Acquired them from a place I had worked at and never got to return them and am sort of stuck with them. And like I said have been empty for at least 30 years. I'm aware of needing to have them capped and secured, but being empty, I feel there is no need as they are nothing more than a space taker at this point.

The thing in front of them is a dehumidifier. Being in the basement with a french drain on the perimeter walls, I need to control the humidity so nothing develops surface rust.

Thanks for the concern and suggestion.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

That is where he holds dinner parties--too clean to be a shop! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  That is where he holds dinner parties--too clean to be a shop! :-)
                  Not too clean.....it's just this, a place for everything and everything in it's place. Nothing is more aggravating to me, besides the wasted time, to go for something and it's not where it's supposed to be and then try to remember where it was used last or search through piles of stuff laying around. Plus, it is a safety hazard having unnecessary things laying all over the place. I just like working in an organized environment. A second here and there putting things back can save many minutes routing around trying to find something. Been there (many times), done that (many times), finally learned.

Ron

Comment

OK, didn't realize this was a basement shop, I thought it was an outbuilding or garage space converted to a shop.

If you want to get rid of those old tanks you could probably drop them off at a junk yard, but the bottle should
                    have Acetone or DMF in it which the gas was dissolved in. This makes it safer to handle and store.

If the bottles are that old they would need to be tested before being refilled, IF they would use a bottle that old
                    to begin with. You could probably get rid of them for nothing when your county or city has their next household
                    hazardous materials disposal day. Ask you local Fire Dept. if they know when the next one will be held.

Most counties in NJ hold these twice a year. Homeowners can bring all sorts of hazardous waste and have it
                    disposed of for free. Everything from mercury thermometers to old cans of oil-based paint to car batteries are accepted.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

here are a few pics of my 12x20 garage/shop:

with the exception of the 10" c-man TS with the t-2 fence that sits at the entrance to the garage, the mobility of everything allows me to park a small minivan in the garage, along with all the other tools. but for now, the car stays outside as the second TS is really handy.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Attachment Attachment Attachment
                        Attachment Attachment
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-31-2011, 05:55 AM.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Wow, looks like you're covered for whatever you want to do. Does look like you're in need for a little more room, though. But from what I've seen from some of your posts, you apparently have a system when you're ready to create. To the fleeting eye, one could assume that you would never be able to locate anything, but I bet, that like me, everything has its place and you know exactly where everything is.

Now, is that a separate building as your shop or is it like a 1½ car garage? Or maybe similar to a 2 car garage with only one overhead door. In whatever case, you apparently have it all under control.

Keep working and enjoying being creative.

Ron

Comment

the last two photos are merged from two or three shots to create a panoramic of sorts, this makes the space look tighter than it is I have found. I would like to have more room around the table saw and I did before I got the Unisaw. I am thinking of reducing the size of the outfeed table to get back to the footprint that my TS-3650 with the outfeed table occupied, the current setup does make it tight at times. The shop is a mess right now as I am working on a couple projects and haven't cleaned up in a couple weeks. I am also thinking of moving my old 12" bandsaw into the basement along with the lathe. Then I could do some turning work in the winter and not have to heat the shop. The BS along with my miter saw could handle most of my cutting needs associated with turning.
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 07-31-2011, 05:57 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Working...
                            X