X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide on the saw

I am torn between the TS 2400, which I like for the size and storage (includes the roller cart)and the TS 2424. The posts that I read all agree with the belt drive and steel table. Should I compromise these on the 2424 for the storage ease of the 2400? What are some more of the advantages of the 2400?

It depends on what you want to do. As a general rule you are always better off with a contractors type saw than a portable. Unless you need to take the saw with you, or you just can't fit the bigger saw the 2424 is the way to go. You get a bigger table, better fence, and you also get the induction type motor instead of the screaming universal type on the 2400. I have the 2424 and I love it. [img]smile.gif[/img] The 2424 has the herculift casters so it is easy to move around and out of the way when not in use.

-Rob
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

As a guy that works for Emerson I'd say buy both. Just Kidding. RRitch is right, the contractor saw would be the better from a preciscion stand point, and if you can handle it, I would recommend the TS2424.

Comment

Gentlmen, thanks for the reply. I hate to ask a dumb question but would you explain what the "induction motor" is and the difference from other motor types. From the smaller less expensive (I've been through three) Delta T-saws, I am fed up with the noise. I assume the belt driven motor is more quiet? I am a "weekend warrior" and still learning the ropes. Jschnarre, what do you mean "if I can handle it"? Is it more difficult to manuver/use?
        Thanks again

Comment

An induction motor is a brushless motor. They tend to be quieter, and more efficient than a universal type motor (brush type). These are two common motors for power tools. Universal motors are used on portable and small tools such as drills and miters saws. This is due to the compactness of a universal motor per the amount of power is produces. Induction motors are found on larger stationary tools such as jointers and table saws, due to the longer life and more efficient operation.

Universal motors are lighter, generally simpler and cheaper than an induction motor. The induction motor has longer life, runs quieter and is heavier than a universal motor. Universal motors are generally purpose built for the tool they are used on, while an induction motor is more of an "off the shelf" item. Meaning if you wanted to replace a universal motor you would have to go back to the manufacturer, while with most induction motors you could buy a motor that matches the same specs from a motor supply house.

As far as handling the TS2424, what I meant was as long as you have the room. The TS2400 with the cart can be folded up to take no more than a few square feet, while the foot print of the 2424 is much larger.

Jake

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

I looked at the 2400 long and hard thinking that the portability was just right for my shop/garage. It was actually my wife who said that "if you are going to buy a tablesaw, buy a tablesaw" I bought the 2424 with the herculift and have been very happy with it. I can move it out of the way when not in use and I can't imaking it taking too much more space than the poertable, and the quality of the tool is outstanding.

Comment

I own the TS2424 and have a small shop 8'x 15' I dont Have a problem with the TS2424. With it's herculift I can move it out of the way. I've own benchtop table saw from delta and ryobi. I would'nt go back. I have to say go with the TS 2424. It's a great saw. I love mine. I looked long and hard before I knew it was the saw for me. For Price, Qualty and Ridgid great customer service you can go wrong [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

Thank you each for your help and advice. I believe I will go ahead this w/e and purchase the TS2424!!!!

Jschnarre: Emerson should be happy to have you on their team, thanks for the "lesson"
                in motors. I am looking for quiet and durability. I have also enjoyed your comments on other posts (tips & techniques) I hope you will be available to assist w/ my continued questions (putting it together and squaring it up, I have read a lot of the posts regarding this area)

Danomal: Thanks for the "push" and support.

B52v: Sounds like you have a very understanding wife. Can I get her to talk to mine

Thanks again!

Comment

Your welcome. Any questions you may have feel free to post them, if I don't know the answer I will find some one who does!

And happy sawing with you new TS2424!

Jake

Comment

Jake,
                    Wanted to let you know I did purchase the TS2424!!
                    Very pleased with the assembly directions (really think the video is a nice touch).
                    Have not started any particular project, but have cut quite a bit of wood. Love the difference in motor, sound and vibration (lack there of!!!)
                    Also wanted to let you know about the HD display. I was also frustrated with the poor displays in my area, South Atlanta GA, went to four separate stores. Found a clean, organized set-up about an hour away. The associate in tools was extremely helpful and quite knowledgable. He allowed me to fire up the 2424, 2412 and 2400. SOLD!! That's what I needed. To "feel" the difference. Went back an hour out of my way the next day to buy from that store and let the manager know about my experience.
                    Only drawback was to have to go back yet ANOTHER time to get the rip fence guide!! Separate box!! Boo.....That's ok, I'm happy and feel I made the right choice.

Thanks again,
                    Jim Crouch

Comment

Jimbo, now that you have taken the plunge and purchased the 2424, do yourself one more favor. Take the time to set up the saw per the instructions. One of the things that sold me on the 2424 was the ease of adjustability. Once properly set up this saw really purrs. Do yourself another favor and buy yourself some *GOOD* dedicated blades for ripping and crosscutting. Money spent here will make your sawing experience much more enjoyable.

Have fun!
                      Dick

Comment

Jim, Dick has an excellent point. I bought the TS2424 in November 2000. The final deciding factors over Delta, Grizzly, and the rest were the quality of construction, the warranty, customer support and finally, the fact that I could download and read the instruction manual before I bought it. I was able to understand how the saw went together and would be maintained without spending a penny. None of the others made it easy to take this step. I took my time putting it together and aligning everything. It stays dead on with no variation. I don't anticipate ever getting rid of this saw.....unless Ridgid comes out with a cabinet saw also with a lifetime warranty. Enjoy your saw...

Comment

Bill Caldwell,
                          WOW, A Ridgid cabinet saw [img]smile.gif[/img]... When you said that I had to sit-up in my chair a bit... If this was a future option Jake, you could count me in... I am totally pleased with my TS2424LS, but would pass my saw to the brother-in-law if I could lay my hands on a Ridgid cabinet saw... 3 to 5hp, 50" fence, pre-wired 220v, Okay, enough dreaming... What are the odds Jake???
                          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Working...
                          X