Quickly ad/remove a machinist vise from your Woodworking bench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickly ad/remove a machinist vise from your Woodworking bench

Sometimes I want to work on something that needs a machinist vise, not a woodworking vise. I have a good size machinist vise on the one bench (a 6" Bessey since you can't easily find a RIDGID vise in the USA) but its kinda cramped there and not always enough room to work something very long. So I took this 3-1/2" vise I had and made a quick mount for it so I could drop it into my end vise on the woodworking bench. It's shouldn't need much explanation, you'll have to size everything to fit your bench and vise, so dimensions are not of much help either.

There's certainly nothing great about it. Just an idea that popped in my head a couple years ago when I needed more room to hold something in the vise. I used it again this morning and thought I would share the idea.

It's nothing more than a length of 2x4 ands a piece of 1" oak. The vise is lagged into the 2x4 through the oak.
    The 2x4 is notched to fit around the end vise guide bars and screw.

Name:  983b46f1593a4eaa3769d98cc46017f7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  100.1 KBName:  f02c6668ca1597160bcefe1aba7632d4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  87.6 KB
    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Quickly ad/remove a machinist vise from your Woodworking bench

That's a great idea and practical too.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
    X