Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daveferg wrote: The real test would be if you added a router table on the side, as to leg strength----it certainly is fixable----just a case of whether you should have to.

Dave, my TS2424 has basadd strong legs, but with my router table added, it HAS to have additional legs mounted. It will literally balance on two legs otherwise, the table addon is just too heavy.

Lack of dado insert----someone missed the boat---hopefully they will correct the oversight.

Dave, there be lots and lots of well-respected tablesaws that don't come with a dado insert. Delta, Powermatic, shucks, I don't know that anyone includes the dado insert. Mine didn't come with one...

Dave

Comment

Dave----all I can do is tell you that on mine, when I added the 52" Biese' and router table---all I did was add angle iron stretchers to the legs. Only recently, did I replace the extension with a built-out shelf and leg set-up.

As to dado inserts----maybe I didn't make myself clear-----I wasn't saying it should be included----I was saying they should have one as an accessory, which currently they don't.
      Dave

Comment

Dave, home deopt does have the dado insert i just bought one it cost 15.87
        Just my opinion

Comment

Thank you Andrew Benedetto.
          I got the washers you listed and put them on.
          The table is now much more steady.
          chuck

Comment

Well I can stand all 175 # of my weight on either wing of my Sears saw & not tip it over. [img]tongue.gif[/img] But then I just finished making a 57" long base on casters with 6 drawers & a dust chute. If you guys want to really make a difference in your saw make a good base for it. next I'll be making a cover for the back like the one Wood had in their magazine. It covers the motor & closes in the back & has peg board on the bottom for air flow & makes dust collection much better. Their design had a garbage bag underneath, mine will have a DC hooked up to the back at the bottom of the dust chute.

Comment

Ridgid has added side panels to the saw. I called them but they have no part numbers for it at this time. It is nice to see they have made some changes. It is a good sign that they are listening to owners concerns. That may eliminate the flex.

Comment

Regarding the dado insert(s)... other posts here have mentioned that not all HDs have them. One even mentioned a 3 month backorder on the item. The HD rep I had told me they don't bother to carry accessories for all the brands they sell! My response to him was that the dado and zero clearance inserts are almost a guaranteed sale on something a guy is already spending $600 on.

In the end, and because I needed a dado insert right away, it was fairly short work, and fun, to make my own. The 1/2" thickness required for this table makes it easy to make your an insert out of any material. I made a "quick and dirty" prototype out of plywood and it worked fine. My final copy will be out of oak. Will do the same also for a zero clearance insert. The two will set me up for the duration, look and work nicely, and save a fair bit of coin.

Comment

Originally posted by heinsite:

In the end, and because I needed a dado insert right away, it was fairly short work, and fun, to make my own. The 1/2" thickness required for this table makes it easy to make your an insert out of any material. I made a "quick and dirty" prototype out of plywood and it worked fine. My final copy will be out of oak. Will do the same also for a zero clearance insert. The two will set me up for the duration, look and work nicely, and save a fair bit of coin.
                  I couldn't agree more. Even if HD had a hundred of them hanging on the wall, I would rather make my own. Unless someone is up to their eyeballs in projects, or considers their time to be too valuable to waste making inserts, I don't see any reason not to. It's also a great early project for someone new to woodworking. They don't take a lot of fancy tools to make and if you don't have what you need to make one then you have an excuse to buy a new tool! It's a win-win!
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Many of your posts on the Ridgid forum have been very valuable to me. I just bought my TS3650 yesterday, and I put a post under General Woodworking. On 11-03-2003, Andrew B placed a post which gave suggested washer sizes that would help make the legs more rigid. I went to HD, and took the list with me. I could not find 7/8" flat washers, so I just bought 12 of the 3/4" flat washers as well as 12 of the 5/16" fender washers. Should that work ok in your opinion?

Also, does the current saw use the same front/back and side braces as the earlier models do? I thought I read somewhere on the forum that Ridgid made some improvement/addition to the braces several months ago. I think I am going to enjoy my Sunday today, and take my time building this baby. I'm aware of the "mysterious 5th bolt" and for the need to apply a good paste waz to the tabletop asap, but if you have any comments or suggestions for a newbie, they will sure be appreciated.

Thanks again for your posts on the forum.

Steve
                    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Where did you see this info?

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto:
                      Ridgid has added side panels to the saw. I called them but they have no part numbers for it at this time. It is nice to see they have made some changes. It is a good sign that they are listening to owners concerns. That may eliminate the flex.

Comment

"Where did you see this info?"

Back when this was first posted (Jan 2004), an image appeared on the Ridgid website of the TS3650 with the added panels. It turned out that this was not a modification (actual or proposed) to the TS3650 design.

Comment

Dave Arbuckle
                          "Dave, there be lots and lots of well-respected tablesaws that don't come with a dado insert. Delta, Powermatic, shucks, I don't know that anyone includes the dado insert. Mine didn't come with one...

Dave "

Correction - Powermatic does come with Dado inserts - not sure if other companies do - but mine had both regular and Dado insert included.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                          X