X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 legs strong like bull

On the 3650 legs and braces all the bolt holes are recessed because of the bevel on the legs. This gives very little surface area contact between the legs and the braces (front and side). The bolts can be tight but the surface area is just not there like two flat pieces of metal (read 3612). A thick washer between the leg and brace area at each bolt will make the stand strong like bull. Hey, the engineers probably stopped and took a donut break in the middle of this stronger beveled leg discussion and upon returning to the meeting went on to more important things like TEFC motor supplier.

Why is it that common sense is the least common of the senses?

I can sleeep now! Thank you for the observation. This has been a main complaint of mine and tech support has not had an answer. Could you tell me what size and thickness you used?

Comment

Interesting side light---when Emerson was building their saws for Sears, they also had the worst leg design----legs would twist at the slightest pressure-----they fixed this problem by adding stretchers----sadly, OWT didn't follow through---too bad you have to modify a new tool, but sounds like a good fix.
      Dave

Comment

I thought I would post the parts I used as to help someone not to have to go to the hardwarestore 3 times as I did in getting the right sizes.
        *8 @3/4" flat washers for front/rear brace
        *8 @5/16" fender washers " " "
        *4 @7/8" flat washers for side braces
        *4 @5/16 fender washers " " "
        Place the flat washers between the leg and the brace and the fender washer between the nut and the brace.
        I had some of the carrage bolts strip, they are not good quality so I changed the bolts and used nylock nuts too. It does not flex now. I also placed washers under the lift and under the bolt heads on the corner mounts at the base of the leg. I think the additive effect of the support of the washers distributing the load over a wider surface area on the thin metal causes the stand to be stiffer. I think the saw mount may need some additional support to the legs. I have not done that yet.

Comment

does not sound like quality to me...have been trying to decide whether or not to get the 3650...wanted the 3612 but home depot screwed that up by not ordering in time...did finally get to see the 3650 set up, one question is the removal of the blade guard...looks like about 3 bolts just to take it off to use a dado blade! also, does it come with a dado insert? "Inquiring minds want to know!" LOL
          \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Assuming the guard mount design hasn't changed (and I'd be surprised if it did), you need to look a little further down inside the machine.

The piece that those 3 bolts attach to are attached with a single thumbscrew, and that's how the guard/splitter is removed. Again, unless they've changed it.

No idea on the dado insert.

Dave

Comment

The dado insert did not come as std. equipment with the 3612. The RIDGID website doesn't say either way on the 3650.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave
                It has not changed, the blade guard comes off with one thumb screw.
                I just assembled my 3650 and I do not think the legs are that bad. Although, I have not climbed on it or tried to twist with it. I have made some sawdust with it.
                SCWood

Comment

The real test would be if you added a router table on the side, as to leg strength----it certainly is fixable----just a case of whether you should have to. Lack of dado insert----someone missed the boat---hopefully they will correct the oversight.
                  Dave

Comment

SCWood,
                    I agree with you completely- the stability of the saw is completely adequate! So what if it flexes when you twist it really hard? So what if they cut cost on the stretchers? Their engineers decided that if they were going to give the customer 2 SOLID CAST wings, a TEFC motor, a sweet blade shroud dust collector, and T-slots, while maintaining the cost and the rest of the features, something had to go. So they removed stretchers that weren't really needed in the first place and hooked us up with a really sweet saw. I'm psyched about mine and can't help but think that people who have problems with the 3650 are just being grumpy and maybe a bit jealous. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The blade guard comes off in 2 seconds- easily the fastest on the market and a great safety feature! No excuses for safe operation! I'm sure other Ridgid owners that have this feature will agree how nice it is.

The fact that they didn't supply a dado insert is no big deal, although it should be available as an accessory from Ridgid, since other companies don't seem to cater to Ridgid with these types of items. On the plus side- you now have a chance to make one! I'm shocked at how many jigs and accessories are purchased by woodworkers that they could/should make for pennies themselves! The Rockler catalogue is filled with these types of items and I ask myself, if someone can't make an extension table for their saw, how do they stand ANY chance at building furniture???? Yeah, this is a bit of a rant, but I just get frustrated sometimes.

Comment

Yogibear---while we can have our opinions about the motor or lack of offering any dado insert, totally disagree that removing or lessoning the strength of stretchers is a cost-cutting option--there were a lot of improvement made in the Ridgid table saw, over the years. As I pointed out, improving the leg system was one of them. Frankly a quality product wouldn't wiggle or flex---a quality product would have a name brand on the motor. If you're happy---that's what matters for you---but it doesn't make their lack of quality excusable.
                      Dave

Comment

Hey gang _ explain to me what the heck a dado insert is will you. May sound dumb but I am clueless. Are we talking dado blade that one buys?????
                        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

The dado insert replaces the standard orange blade insert on the table of the table saw. It basically has a big, wide opening to allow the widest possible dado blade combination through the opening. Not sure if that makes sense?

Comment

I like the saw but the legs will flex if you do not add washers. I was cutting 1/2 sheet of 5/8" mdf and the saw would flex with pressure against the fense. This should not happen and it is not a unreasonable feature to expect. I had a 1970's sears wich did the same thing, but worse. I had to add braces. My Ryobi bt3000 saw has no flex and it is made by the same ITI co. ? I bought this saw because I wanted a more heavyduty saw. The stability of a saw is paramount to the cut.This is a basic design of a stand, and I do not think it something that should be modified by the owner to function correctly. I still may add braces to the lower part, but with the washers it is ok for now.

Comment

Yogi - got ya. That's what I assumed but in all saws I have owned over years I've yet to have one included with any TS, always an additional add-on cost, which always PO'ed me.And why I was questioning. based on my lousy experiences in past I'd a never even thought they'd include one. Cannot even guess the hours I've spent on BS making up these critters over years. Maybe now I'll just use 2-3 blades and that'd be easy enough.
                              Thanks for clarifying - was thinking my mind even more 'fused than I know it is.
                              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Working...
                              X