X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glueing sheets of aluminum to birch plywood

I am trying to glue some aluminum flashing to a board. Obviously Elmer wood glue is not going to cut it. Does anyone have a recommendation on what type of glue is good for this type of application?

Thanks
    - Jimmy

Gorilla Glue.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

J-B Weld
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What is your application going to be used for and what is it's exposure? I am sure Gorilla would hold but I would be very surprised if you got a smooth surface without some serious clamping. The poly glues I have used foam quite a bit and any deviation in the application rate would invite hills and valleys.

What about laminate adhesive? Spray pressure sensitive adhesive might be an option. JB weld would probably do it but getting an even coat would be a challenge.

Comment

I am making a headboard for the ol' lady, but wanted to add some metal highlight by glueing sheets of aluminum to it (5' x 1'). This needs to look super smooth (no valleys or warps). Bob, do you think laminate adhese will do the trick? If so, is there a recommended brand I should try?

Thanks
          - J

Comment

jip,
            I too would be concerned about smooth, flat surface with a polyeurethane (Gorilla Glue) or a trowel-on spread adhesive (construction adhesive, J-B Weld).
            You will get good results with contact cement, rolled prererable to spread. I prefer solvent based, but water based will work well for your application. Make sure to roll the bonded materials with a J-roller (not mom's rolling pin) to assure a good, tight bond.
            You can also use 3M Hi Strength 90 spray adhesive, but the contact will work as well with less expense.
            If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

JLP, Deblieux said what I was going to. I am not sure whether solvent based or water based would be better. Water based might be more prone to corrosion. Then again most any chemical might be also. If it were an airplane I would use zinc- chromate primer on the aluminum. Probably overkill. Stainless would look great but not cheap. It would telegraph fewer flaws and be more scratch resistant and there would be not much to worry about for corrosion.

Comment

How about some thin double sided tape? You might want to seal/finish the wood first, but the amount of surface area is so large you don't need a super strong bond.

Comment

Maybe I don't understand the problem but I dont why you are considering an adhesive at all. Why not decorative fasteners like the ones you can buy to mount splash guards in a kitchen? I used some made from stainless that are round with beveled edges. They really look clean and hide the screw heads.

Comment

Maybe I don't understand the problem but I dont why you are considering an adhesive at all. Why not decorative fasteners like the ones you can buy to mount splash guards in a kitchen? I used some made from stainless that are round with beveled edges. They really look clean and hide the screw heads.

Comment

Camset. we use it to bond stone to wood or metal, if you are in the bay area try try Union City, made by Bonsil , has an astm for exterior use, this is a commercial produst yet easy to use, won.t use any thing else, sorry fellas gorilla glue won.t hold stone to steel or iron, this also has 800 pound test on 3x3 inch shear tests, later Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X