X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing zero clearance insert on table saw

I have a TS2424, vintage 1998, that I need to replace the zero clearance insert. When the saw blade is lowered to the bottom position, the blade is still too high to allow the new insert to sit flush prior to the initial cut. I cannot remember how I got around this problem when I installed the existing zero clearance insert. Can someone suggest a safe way to do this?

Re: Installing zero clearance insert on table saw

Use a smaller diameter blade is one way. You could also route the underside about half way through to provide the required clearance. This is what is done on some of the commercially made ZCIs. With the saw unplugged and the throat plate out lower the blade all the way down. Lay a straight edge or a steel rule across the opening and get a rough measurement from the table top down to the top of the blade. This will tell you how far below the table top the blade sits.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would just put my circular saw blade onto my table saw for the initial cut.

Just use a block of wood to hold it down and raise the smaller blade up into the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
        I would just put my circular saw blade onto my table saw for the initial cut.

Just use a block of wood to hold it down and raise the smaller blade up into the piece.
        +1. that's what i did for my ridgdi 2412. worked quite well.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I usually route a groove to provide clearance for the 10" blade and then raise the blade that I will use on that insert. That way the kerf of the blade matches the blade thickness.

Seems like a circular saw blade kerf would be too small to provide clearance for many table saw blades, but the only circular saw I use these days is a trim saw with a very thin kerf blade.

Comment

you could use an outside blade from a dado set instead of a circ saw blade.
            Routing the underside is probably the best choice. Use the stock throat plate
            to roughly mark out the area.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks to all. I remember using the circular saw blade now that you mention it. The insert worked fine until recently. (It is UHMWPE if that makes any difference.) I have changed blades several times but they all had the same kerf so it didn't seem to matter. Recently I raised the blade to the top and now I am getting some tear out that I wasn't experiencing previously. Not sure if that was somehow because of a different blade or some other cause.

Using a router is an interesting option that I had not considered.

Comment

You can also attach it to the top of your old ZCI to get the initial cut started.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Ditto to Bob! I used one of the outside blades from my dado set to start the cut. Just enought to make room for the full sized blade.
                  Pete
                  My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
                  http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X