X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freud Router Bits

Have people on here had good experience with Freud router bits. I need to make tongues and grooves so I purchased an adjustable bit set (part number 99-036). I initially made some tongues and the bit worked fine. I then used the groove bit - within a few inches of cutting (which it started out doing quite well) there was a kick and it stopped cutting and I could smell the wood burning. I stopped to investigate and found that both cutters had broken off the op disc.

I returned the bits and the guy at the store told me it was the third time he had seen this happen (not sure if it was on the specific model or their bits in general). He did not have any more in stock so I stopped by the local Rockler store and bought another set. This time the groove bit seems to be sluggish and I'm getting a burn mark and the top of the groove. It seems like something else is up with this new bit.

I was going to call their customer support about this but thought I would post here also to see if anyone had any feedback or suggestions for me.

Re: Freud Router Bits

I have not used Freud router bits so do not know if this is a common problem. I have had good luck with Bosch and also the "made in USA" grade Craftsmans. I quit buying Craftsman bits and blades some years ago due to poor performance and rapid dulling. However, in a bind a few months ago, I checked out sears for an Ogee rail-and-stile bit set. Their Made in USA quality (under lock and key) fit the bill and was less expensive than the Bosch or others I could find on short notice. After using it on several projects of white oak, it still cuts smooth and strong, and the tolerances are tight. I was pleasantly surprised.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've got a few Freud bits that are excellent. They're generally very well regarded. My best bits are Whiteside and Infinity. Many of the Eagle America bits are made by Whiteside, and are also excellent.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. So after routing a few pieces painfully slowly with the new bit I decided to take a look and guess what - the cutters looked misshaped. They could have broken off but both looked identical and had a weird shape - not flat as the cutter should be. I called Freud customer service and they could offer no explanation. So it was back to Rockler and exchange for a third set.

I routed a little bit with the new bit and so far it works fine. I'm debating if a need a 3+ hp router with speed control. I have a 2-1/2 hp router with a external speed control but when I slow it down to the recommended speed it is struggling to route the groove especially when I try to route it in one pass.

A local cabinet maker I know recommended Whiteside bits. I actually have a Whiteside decorate bit I purchased a while back although I used to to make some molds for casting concrete so that the concrete blocks were made with the inverse of the pattern on the top of the blocks. They turned out quite well actually and the blocks now sit around a giant Bird of Paradise tree in my backyard.

Comment

I really like Lee Valley's router bits and have many of them. They are 1/2" shank (a must in my opinion) and stay sharp for a very long time. They are a bit expensive, but if you ever have a problem Lee Valley will trip over themselves to help you.

Comment

I will look into Lee Valley router bits thanks. Never heard of them but then again I don't do a lot of woodworking.

The latest bits appear to be holding up well and I have routed a few grooves without any issues. Maybe I was just very unlucky to have got two bad bits.

Comment

Working...
            X