X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cambering a plane blade

Anyone want to weigh in on this? I want to camber a new plane blade and have read many articles on this. I use the veritas MK2 guide, but don't feel i need to buy the "cambering" additional wheel.

Anyone have some good tips on how to accomplish this?

Re: cambering a plane blade

Bob Smalser [sp] had put up a nice series of threads a few years back on here about restoring planes and chisels and sharpening them too.
    He did some articles for one of the WWing mags too, do a Google search might turn up some of his stuff on the 'net, I know I have come across it in the past other than here. I think I got his name spelled right, can someone else confirm or correct me?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

never used that guide, I do not know,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It depends on how much camber you want. Using the Mk II, I usually just make a few extra passes on each grit pressing down with my fore finger on the left corner of the blade and then use the third finger for same process on the right corner. A final side to side swivel smooths out the radius. This gives a few thousandths camber which may not be enough for you if you are making deep cuts. The only seriously cambered iron I use is on my scrub plane, which I do free hand.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I decided to buy the cambering wheel for the MKII. I must say it is well worth the 20 dollars - it does a superb job!

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. It would be nice if more people let everyone know how something did or didn't turn out.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Bob Smalser [sp] had put up a nice series of threads a few years back on here about restoring planes and chisels and sharpening them too.
              He did some articles for one of the WWing mags too, do a Google search might turn up some of his stuff on the 'net, I know I have come across it in the past other than here. I think I got his name spelled right, can someone else confirm or correct me?
              You are correct Bob. Here is a link to many of Mr. Smalser's articles as well as many other tips. Look under Woodworking How Tos then Fossil Fuel Friendly

Franklin, I use the same method as Gofor to camber my blades but I do it on my diamond plate so I don't put stripes in my water stones. I usually just knock the corners off on a small radius (~2mm) so I only have to redo them after many hours of use/sharpening

Comment

Working...
              X