X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 top damage?

Since I am new I will start off with a hello to everyone on the forum.

After quite a bit of debate I have just bought my first Ridgid product, the R4512 table saw.

I got it home yesterday evening and started to assemble it today after I got home from work. Upon taking the cabinet out I was able to get a look at the top. It is coated in a light oil, which I assume is a protectant for the cast iron top.

This is when I noticed the problem with the top.
    After wiping it down a bit to remove the oil to get a better look I found that there are a series of dark discolored lines near where the throat plate goes.

I thought it might just need some elbow grease (and some help from a dissolvent) to remove completely. After a soak in WD-40 the lines are now clean but still there.

It almost looks like heat damage, maybe from when the throat was cut out?

The closest thing to a quality strait edge I own is a small machinist square; it does not rock when I place it on the top but I am still a bit worried.

Has anyone gotten a top like this one? I really would prefer to not take it back to Home Depot seeing as it was a pain to get home and I will never get everything back in the box the way it came packed.

Could this affect the performance or perhaps even lifespan of the saw?
    Should I bother trying to get a replacement or is it mostly cosmetic?
    Is this sort of thing covered by Ridgids' lifetime warranty?

I have attached a few pictures of the areas of concern.

Sorry about the low quality pics, I spend my money on tools and lumber not good digital cameras =)

Thanks for any advice!

Before cleaning:
    Attachment Attachment

After cleaning:
    Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: R4512 top damage?

Looks like light surface rust to me, nothing to worry about. Try steel wool, that might make it go away better. If that does not work, and the stain REALLY botheres you, you can either sand it out with some wet/dry sand paper(not recommended, it will alter the finish of the metal) or maybe try some Muriatic acid, it will eat the rust now and the metal later if you do not neutralize it. Honestly I would leave it alone.

It looks like the top was covered by plastic and the areas that are discolored were not in contact and allowed moisture to get in there.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I agree with Master there, I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the pictures, looks like a little rust (most likely some humidity), and a plastic cover,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

wax the top with some past wax, (no silicon in it, may cause problems with finishing the wood), can help keep the top from rusting, (no it will not take the stain out) but will put a protective coating on it for keeping more from forming,

I guess you do not like it one can take it back to HD and exchange it,

but your top will end up with rust on it some day, all most regardless how carefully you are,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

To be honest I would take it back and get a new one or have them send you a new top. You paid good money for this and you should be satisfied with what you buy. I had to take mine back for another issue but my replacement 4512 runs and looks like I wanted it to. Some people don't mind scratches and rust so much, but if I buy something for that type of money I want it to look showroom clean when I put it together. Then I can tear it up on my own terms after lol.

All the above should work fine though.

Ron

Comment

Thanks for everyones' advice.
            I have decided that registering it with Ridgid and waxing it should work out well. (Thanks for the wax idea BHD)
            After all I am more concerned with the performance than the looks.

Comment

I recently purchased the 4512 and had the exact same issue with the top and the strange dark stains around the throat plate. I found that after I used the saw for a few projects and have put some board through it the stains are hardly visible and seem to have all but gone away. I have not waxed the table yet as it is seeing daily use so far. The lines did not appear to be rust and did not initially come up when I cleaned the protective lubricant off the table.

Comment

I had the exact stains on my 4512. As with the previous post, they did not go away with cleaning. I was able to take a razor blade to lightly scrape them off, I was then able to clean them and everything is fine. The were not cracks in the table or rust spots. I think they were some type of residue from the protective coating. Has not been a big issue... Love my r4512

Comment

I too have this issue and I too couldnt get it off with cleaning.

@kmeuer: After scraping most of it away, what did you use to clean the rest of it off? Some of it seems like its pretty "deep" in the cast iron and not something I think I can scrape away...

Comment

I had a similar staining issue on my top; Meguiar's Ultimate compound with a dual action polisher seems to have gotten rid of 99% of the stains.

Comment

I just got my R4512 on dec 30 2010 and it also has the same dark marks when I unpacked the saw. I just cleaned it up put the saw to gether and started using it the same day. I wanted to let all know I love it better than I thought I would.

Comment

Working...
                      X