Saw Blades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Blades

I am new to woodworking so here is my (hopefully not stupid) question... is there a "best way" to care for saw blades?

Dave, I don't know if there is a "best way", but there certainly is a "common sense" way. Your saw blades should be kept clean and free of pitch. Not a big deal if kept up with. There have been many threads on types of cleaners, so won't get into that here. Some folks even suggest waxing the blades after cleaning.

Don't lay carbide blades directly on your metal table saw blade to avoid damaging the teeth. If you hang them on the wall, put spacers between them to keep the teeth from banging together. Plastic coffee can lids work great for spacers.

Although not a way to care for blades, I think it's worth mentioning to use the proper blade for the job. A couple of dedicated blades, ripping and crosscutting are not that expensive. If you really want to crud up a blade, try using a crosscut blade for ripping etc. Besides not being the safest practice this will do a number on your blade (pitch/burn) and assure you of plenty of cleaning practice.

Last but certainly not least, never use a dull blade. A sharp blade is always your best tool.

I could go on, but I hope you get the general drift.
    Dick

Comment

I wax after cleaning, because I use a water-based cleaner. Something I have noticed a lot of people don't understand, is that if you clean often it only takes a moment. If you wait until the blade is disgusting, cleaning is a long, nasty process.

A dirty blade is a dull blade.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on getting a couple of different blades in the very near future. At least now I have an idea of what and how on this!

Comment

What's the best stuff to clean your blades with? Soap and water then wax?????

Comment

I use Simple Green, which is a concentrated soap "stuff". Available at the home center, or at the supermarket. Probably the car parts store too, it's pretty popular.

Dave

Comment

Thanks, I think mine has pine risen on it. They need to be cleaned because they do not cut very clean right now. I'll try that...Donny

Comment

Has anyone ever used a 7 1/2 in. skill saw blade with 140 teeth on a 10" tablesaw? I've tried it and it seems to work great.It's just a regular Black-n-Decker Blade.

Comment

Working...
                X