X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sawdust

What do you guys do with all your sawdust/shavings? I usually give them to a guy I know, who uses them for various things around a local campground. This month I produced over 100 gallons in my DC (had some time to build a few things!).

It just made me curious to see what other did with their DC collectables. I know some just drop them curbside, but what else do people do with this stuff?

Re: sawdust

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
    What do you guys do with all your sawdust/shavings? I usually give them to a guy I know, who uses them for various things around a local campground. This month I produced over 100 gallons in my DC (had some time to build a few things!).

It just made me curious to see what other did with their DC collectables. I know some just drop them curbside, but what else do people do with this stuff?
    I sweep it up and burn it or throw it away.

Comment

We have a separate pick up for garden waste. I empty about 1/2 the DC bag in there, mixed in with the green wet waste. Any more than 1/2 and it makes too much dust... the collection guys don't like that. The other half I put in the regular (non-recycle) trash. Leaves about enough space for the regular garbage.

Comment

Be careful about whats in your sawdust if you give it away to others. I heard Walnut can kill horses if absorbed through their hooves (a disease called Founder) which they can pick up just by walking on it. Other species of wood can harm other animals. Walnut is also toxic to plants so does not work as a mulch, but works great as a weed killer mulch.

I think there was an article recently in one of the WWing mags about this. I'll dig through the recent back issues and see if I can find it.

Found it. Check the Oct 2011 issue of WOOD magazine for ways to deal with sawdust.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just this morning packed up one of those HD yard bags (brown paper) filled to just about the top. Left room to be able to fold it over and tape it, then took it to the curb for "garbage" pickup.

I tried to give this away and I keep it clean and dry ands it's petty much 99% pine and 1% oak. Nobody wants it and the city says I can't put it in either the recycle's or the yard waste. Oh well.

CWS

Comment

If there is no walnut you can use it as mulch.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              ...the city says I can't put it in either the recycle's or the yard waste. Oh well.

CWS
              If it is bagged, they cannot tell whats in it till its opened at the plant. IMO, its still wood, just in another form. Stuff it into the bottom of the yard waste barrel. I assume an automated truck takes it, not one where the cans are dumped by hand?

OTOH, I thought it was OK to put dog waste into the yard waste bucket, I was informed that their composting process does not create enough heat to kill the lil beasties in the poo. Whoops!
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Naw, here in Binghamton it's all picked up by hand. I just as soon stick to the rules anyway, and dispose of it in whatever way they feel is best for their process. Here we still go to the landfill, so with the sawdust in a paper bag, it should be absorbed fairly quickly. I still wish that this could have been "yard waste", but then again, I have no doubts there's a concern for "exotics" or who knows what might be in there from other customers.

Regarding the "hand" pickup, I sort of like that. It's much more efficient and it's nice to see people employed. At the old home, I have to pay a private contractor for all garbage and debris pickup, as it's not covered under village taxes. The village does do things like leaf pickup in the fall (but I mulch) and yard debris a few times a year, but what a fiasco that is. Three or four guys standing around, leaning on their rakes, while a dump truck blocks the road and this massive front end loader manuevers into position.... only to scrape up a good section of turf as it attempts to pick up the brush.

(My 4' 11" wife got in trouble about 18 years ago, when after watching these guys trying to pickup our cuttings (tied in two, rather light, bundles) from a lilac bush. Guys showed up in two pickup trucks, then the dump truck, which took a couple of minutes to get in position, diagonally across the road... then they waited for the front end loader to come up. It manuevered for a few more minutes, dug into the lawn, then dropped the bundle and had to back up over the opposite curve in a second attempt to scoop it up. About that time I guess my wife lost it and charged out the front door, grabbed the bundle in two hands and flung it up and into the truck. I guess she said a word of two she shouldn't have... in any case, we got a letter from the village board saying that if she ever did that again we'd be fined and they wouldn't pick up anything at our house ever again.) Unfortunately, I was at work that day... I would have loved to see that!)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  (My 4' 11" wife got in trouble about 18 years ago, when after watching these guys trying to pickup our cuttings (tied in two, rather light, bundles) from a lilac bush. Guys showed up in two pickup trucks, then the dump truck, which took a couple of minutes to get in position, diagonally across the road... then they waited for the front end loader to come up. It manuevered for a few more minutes, dug into the lawn, then dropped the bundle and had to back up over the opposite curve in a second attempt to scoop it up. About that time I guess my wife lost it and charged out the front door, grabbed the bundle in two hands and flung it up and into the truck. I guess she said a word of two she shouldn't have... in any case, we got a letter from the village board saying that if she ever did that again we'd be fined and they wouldn't pick up anything at our house ever again.) Unfortunately, I was at work that day... I would have loved to see that!)

CWS
                  I love it!! My wife would have have gone out there and told them to stop standing around wasting money and just pick the stuff up.

As far as sawdust goes, I take mine to the transfer station and toss it into the compactor which then goes to the landfill when full.

Comment

Have some fun with it! get a container that's roughly 12 inches diameter. On the bottom of the container Maguyver an air hose into a hole in its center. Fill container 3/4 with sawdust. at the other end of the hose you have a ball valve with a compressed air tank. Light a road flare and stick it in the sawdust, (fire end pointing up). Now open the valve and watch a mushroom fire cloud form that will blow your mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X