X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" Drill press question

Just bought a like new Drill Press. $125. Thought it was a very good deal, close to being a tool gloat ;-)

My question is how do you know what speed the pulleys are set at? How do you move them and is there a chart to know what speed to use for what function?

Thanks

Brian A

Re: 15" Drill press question

I am guessing you got a good deal on a RIDGID DP.
    If so you should be able to find the manual here on the RIDGID website
    which will answer all your questions and more.

But the short answer would be there should be a chart on the side of the DP or maybe under
    the belt cover which will show the various belt configurations and the resulting speed for each.

Generally speaking, for large diameter bits or hole saws, use lower speeds.

If you do some searching online you should find charts with recommended speeds for various
    bits when drilling metal or wood.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BrianA View Post
      Just bought a like new Drill Press. $125. Thought it was a very good deal, close to being a tool gloat ;-)

My question is how do you know what speed the pulleys are set at? How do you move them and is there a chart to know what speed to use for what function?

Thanks

Brian A
      Is that the Ridgid DP1550 and if so, where did you find it at that price?

Ron

Comment

Yes it is Ridgid DP1551 Looks like 3-5 years old It also came with a Delta Morticer attachment.
        Bought it off Craigs list.

Any one know if the date is in the serial #?

Comment

There is a diagram inside the top cover on the left hand side. You can read it by standing to the right side; same side as the pulley release handle. If for whatever reason it is no longer there, please let me know and I'll post the diagram. (I made one that I can put on the wall, as the light is not the best to see the "inside cover" chart.

CWS

Comment

I'm short and was standing on the wrong side to see the diagram. Thanks

Brian

Any one know the difference between the 1550 and 15501 or is it 1551?? not sure.

Brian

Comment

Not sure but 'i think the 1550 was the old Emerson grey line of tools made for RIDGID and the 1551 is the new RIDGID orange used on all their current Woodworking tools.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Brian,

I have a 1551 dressed in the old Ridgid gray. I think it was the last model change just before the new orange color scheme was introduced. (Got it for a mere $150, NIB in 2003... just because of the color change ) As far as what I've observed, there aren't any differences between my 15501 and the current model, other than color differences.

However, I happened to download the older 1550 owner's manual and from what I can tell, the quill assembly is changed. On the 1550, a "drift key" was supplied to facilitate removal of the chuck. The quill had a slot in it, in which the drift key could be positioned and thus struck with a mallet to force the chuck loose. The 1551 has a solid quill, no drift key slot.

As far as I know, that's the only difference. Below is an illustration detail taken from a larger illustration on page 18 of the older 1550 manual.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Click image for larger version

Name:	5c83a1f9f06d2a0107ff5ec4cc9d416c.gif
Views:	1
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	15364

Comment

Working...
                X