X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Feeding a TP1300 Planer

I just got a new TP1300 Planer and, of course, I'm full of questions. But I will try and stay focused and just ask a couple (or three )

1) When feeding the board, does it have to be centered on the bed, off to one side or another, or does it matter? I really like the depth-of-cut indicator and it's logically located in the middle. So my tendency is to center the board on the bed.

2) What is the minimum width that can be planed (max 13") is a one or two inches too narrow (assume over 12" long)?

3) When planing narrow stock, can more than one board be fed side by side?

So far I really like the planer.

Thanks for nay help you can give me.

...Peter

[ 05-22-2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: PJ ]

welcome to the club. to answer some of your ?'s
    (1) no it can be to either side but i usually center also because of the depth-of -cut indicator
    (2)I don't know of a minimum width but i myself wouldn't for example take a 1x4 and run it through on edge its not a jointer its a planer, also their is a min length CHECK THE OWNERS MANUAL
    and a min thickness without a feeder board CHECK THE OWNERS MANUAL
    (3) I run multiples through all the time aslong as they are down to the same thickness, it saves time and evens the wear on the blades also i feel it helps reduce snipe in hard to plane wood by mismatching the ends as they start through. (just my opinion others may disagree)

Comment

Seems that BVWW hAS said What I was goint to say .. My ONLY coment is DO NOT TRY TO TAKE OFF TO MUCH IN ONE PASS. Today I planeD rough cut Cypress 1 x 8 x 16' TO 3/4" 4 peices and an as happy as can be with only 4 roller stands I did NOT GET ANY SNIPE..REMEMBER 16' LONG AND BY MY SELF. THE RIDGID PLANER rules, I had a crapsman and there are as differant as night & day. I am now VERY HAPPY that the crapsman died. I hope hhhtat SEARS WILL FOLLOW LIKE MONTGOMERY WARDS AND OTHERS THAT THINK THAT THEY HAVE YOU AND YOU WILL FOLLOW NO MATER WHAT...WAL MART WILL GET THEIR COME UP COMMINGS ALSO, AS THEY HAVE PURCHACED 49% OF LOWES ANDIT ALREADY SHOWES, WE WILL NOT SHOP THERE. DD

Comment

Looks like I made the right choice buying a Ridgid. I'm glad you are all getting such good results.

When I asked about minimum width, I didn't mean height. I wouldn't think of putting a 1x4 standing up through the planer. You are right that's what jointers are for.

What I meant was what is minimum width you can feed through flat on the bed: 1x4, 1x2, 2x2, 1x1?
        How about narrower than 1"?

Thanks again for the kind replies.

...Peter

Comment

The WIDTH does not matter unless you are trying to do 1". I try NOT to run LESS than 2" in width. the height does matter when you are trying to do the THIN Thing. Use good logic, if it is taller than the width you will get into a bind and probally really screw it up.. If the width is thin try puting together multiables to increas the width which will be less likely to twist. Somewhere I either read or was told Never plane (thickness) less than the width.. Hope that this will be of some value to you .. dd [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

can anyone help? i just bought a ridgid 13" planer a couple days ago. i checked all the adjustments as shown in the manual. but every piece i ran through it has a 2" section on both ends that was planed thiner on both ends. also the part of the in and out feed tables closest to the center of the machine are not levle with the center chrome plate under the blade. is this normal or did i get a bad machine?

Comment

Great responses. Thanks. I think I'm on the right track now.

...Peter

Comment

Originally posted by XCANDYMAN909X:
                can anyone help? i just bought a ridgid 13" planer a couple days ago. i checked all the adjustments as shown in the manual. but every piece i ran through it has a 2" section on both ends that was planed thiner on both ends. also the part of the in and out feed tables closest to the center of the machine are not levle with the center chrome plate under the blade. is this normal or did i get a bad machine?
                What you are seeing is called snipe. Check the instructions in the manual, it should cover the procedure for leveling the tables. the in and outfeed tables need to be level with the bed of the planer. If they are not you will get snipe on the ends.
                -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Rob
                  The cradle is gorgeous! When I looked at it I was reminded of one I saw growing up that was pretty musch the same design but had a little wooden pedal on th bottom sort of like the old sewing machines, that let mom do her reading or sewing while rocking the baby. Yours is a beutiful piece of work. Thanks for sharing your site.
                  \"The details are where you and your gods smile at each other...\"

Comment

Working...
                  X