X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care for R4512 TS surface

Is there anything I need to do to care for the cast iron center & wing attachments for this saw? I put it together a few days ago and noticed the protective wrap and goo on the tabletop. I have a Veritas steel router table that requires a lot of care & is a minor rust magnet, so I need to know what to do please!

Re: Care for R4512 TS surface

I use Johnson's paste wax on my tools. If it's already got rust on it, you can clean it with a scotchbrite pad and WD40 first and then wax it good. 2-3 times a year and you shouldn't have the problem return.
    Brian

Comment

once any protective compounds (like cosmoline) are cleaned off with mineral spirits, i just keep all my CI surfaces coated with paste wax. most importantly, i keep the tops covered when not in use. almost anything will do. i use 1/8" harboard that i got for $.60 a piece off the cull cart @ the BORG:

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thank you very much. Strange I didn't see that in the user manual... I'll get some paste wax, and will try the other trick on my router table. I'm also happy to see that I'm not the only person losing a garage (although my wife makes me work outside after coating the garage with sawdust in the past).

Comment

Do not use automotive paste waxes that contain silicone. The silicone will get on the wood and produce "fish eyes" in the final finish.

Johnson's paste wax is OK and Boeshield T-9 is also OK. Boeshield is available at the big box stores or on-line, just google it.

Comment

Be careful of exactly what material you use to cover the cast iron top. Some materials seem to be a "magnet" for moisture and/or may "outgas" and possibly stain the cast iron. I think that it more problematic with longer term storage, like not using the saw for weeks at time during the high-humidity periods of your year.

A product that is often recommended for its rust and corrosion protection is "Boeshield T-9", which was developed by the Boeing aircraft company. It is available through places like Rockler and Lee-Valley in a 12-oz spray can. Other sizes may be available, but that is the size that I have here, which I purchased from Lee-Valley. Their are other brand products which are marketed for the same application.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I also like Boeshield T-9.

Comment

Working...
              X