Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold will the TS2424 still work at?

I have an outdoor shop in Minnesota and during the winter, my shop can get down between 0 and 20 degrees. Will the TS2424 motor power up ok without blowing a breaker? Having an induction motor, is that a good or bad thing for cold temperatures? I borrowed a Sears tablesaw from a friend and used it in my shop and it had a rough time starting up. After it got spinning for a few seconds, all was ok. I am not sure what kind of motor his saw had but I am guessing that the lubrication in the bearings had to warm up a bit. Will the kind of bearings make a difference?

Hey Ivan,

Get a heater or move South!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Wow, 0 degrees. I'm more concerned about you working with all those heavy winter cloths around a saw than the saw.

I'm sure Jake can comment on the saw but you be careful and take care.

Now that's one dedicated woodworker!!!

Wood Dog

Comment

I uesd the Ridgid ts2424 tablesaw when it was 10 degrees outside. It work like a champ.
      Andy B.

Comment

Ivan...where in MN do you live? I lived there for several years when I worked for 3M. I liked it very much and have lots of friends up there, but NC is much warmer!!

Sorry that I can't help with the issue of the 2424 start-up in the cold.

Comment

Good point about safety, Wood Dog. I don't do much woodworking during the cold times - just rough cutting and ripping for home remodeling so I stay away from the blade. For nearer stuff, I remove my gloves. Carhartts do the job for warmth. But I worry more if the TS2424 saw can pass the Diehard test (one that the Sears tablesaw nearly failed)

Jamie, I live near Rochester "down south" basking in the sun where it might be one to two degrees warmer than Minneapolis but more wind.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: ivan ]

Comment

Ivan,

I live in MN too. Unfortunatly, winter is when I have the most free time to work in the shop, and I work in an unheated garage. The TS2424 runs great in those conditions.

In fact, I bought my saw during a really cold spell 2 winters ago - I got impatient and put it together in -30 -- -40 degree temps. I tested it in those temps and never once had a problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Jeekers, and I thought Boston had crummy winter weather.

Comment

Ivan,

I don't see why there should be any problem starting at that temp, but we do not test to that temp so I cannot say for sure.

Jake

Comment

LMAO! At those temps I'd be thinking of burning my woodworking mistakes, some schnaps and cuddling! Kind of reminds me of ice fishing. I like to fish but the ice takes all the fun out of it!

You guys belong in the WW'ing 'hall of fame'. [img]smile.gif[/img]

John

Comment

Ivan

Howdy neighbor! (Albert Lea area). I would advise putting a "Hot Dog" heater in your shop area. By keeping the shop above 50, you'll lessen the chance of water vapor freezing and thawing on your tools. The water vapor can cause a nasty little proble called rust. Ever try and remove rust from iron during a normal winter . (Not this winter though). I'm lucky to have my shop inside the house and heated.
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Ivan:
                      No Problem...Used the Same saw last year up in Alaska repairing a church damaged by a winter storm. We kept the saw outside the whole time and the temps were from 0 to 10 degrees for nine days straight. I did start the saw in the morning by letting it run for about 3 to 4 minutes just to be sure there was no problem.
                      Good luck & dress warm...

Comment

Great going, guys, in the COLD. Glad it is not me as I would be burning all of the wood that I had j ust to keep warm That is why 18 years ago I moved to Florida. My bones just can not take that cold any more. Today @ 92 I was slaving away at my "ship lap siding". Took a few breaks to go in the house to COOL OFF. By the way only 83 more boards and the "SHIP LAB SIDING" will be finished, all 106 boards 1 x 6 x 3/4 by 8' & 10' WIlL BE DONE tomorrow if the heat does not run me inside. This extension of my garage should be done by June 5th.

Comment

Working...
                        X