X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long spindle sleeves

Has anyone figured a way to use longer sleeves with the spindle sander?
    Thanks,
    Gene
    Gene<br />Life is too short for cheap tools!

You would have to do some great modifications. Longer shaft, or shaft extension.
    There are inexpensive spindle sanders available from several manufactures. If it's for a one time or once in a while project that you need longer spindles. You might even look into a drill press spindle, that would be even cheeper than another machine.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by UO_Woody:
      You would have to do some great modifications. Longer shaft, or shaft extension.
      There are inexpensive spindle sanders available from several manufactures. If it's for a one time or once in a while project that you need longer spindles. You might even look into a drill press spindle, that would be even cheeper than another machine.
      It's definitly not a one time use. I thought of having a spindle extension machined. Shouldn't be too costly, I wouldn't think. Then, order some more rubber inserts and cut them to add to the stock inserts.
      It's worth a shot, I think.
      Gene

Comment

I would look into this for starters:

ON SALE Grizzly Unit

It does use a 5 1/2" sleeve.

(I can't seem to send Emails at this time, sorry)

[ 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

When you say longer spindles, how long do you mean? for instance 9" like the big Jet. If you do an extension (especially a big one) consider that you will be adding a greater moment to the spindle than it was designed for. I wouldn't expect that this would break your sander but it will greatly increase wear to your sander and may cause some deflection/slop if used often. High cycle fatigue may become an issue as well.

Comment

If you are working something that large I would strongly recommend clamping the project down and using a belt sander. I have always found the larger the piece the easier it is to move the tool rather than the wood.

Comment

Thee need is for a 6" spindle. A machinist is making an extension for me. It will screw on the existing spindle and give me threads on top, as well. Total length will be 2.5 inches, inc. the top threads.
              Gene

Originally posted by rmacmec:
              When you say longer spindles, how long do you mean? for instance 9" like the big Jet. If you do an extension (especially a big one) consider that you will be adding a greater moment to the spindle than it was designed for. I wouldn't expect that this would break your sander but it will greatly increase wear to your sander and may cause some deflection/slop if used often. High cycle fatigue may become an issue as well.

Comment

Working...
              X