X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!! black spots in birdseye maple

i am making a keepsake box out of birdseye maple and mahogany. i used the table saw to cut bevels in the lid. cutting the bevels uncovered a very ugly large black spot in the wood (not a burn mark) is there anything i can do to get rid of the spot, or did i just spend the last couple hours making a big pile of junk?

Just watched a great show with David Marks (on DIY), on repairing wood flaws and woodworker goofs. Some ideas: can you use some of your other stock to cut veneers and glue it over the black spot? is it located such that you could route out the bad spot and use a contrasting wood inlay----ductchman?
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Your suggestion inspired me. Originally the lid had two pieces of maple laminated together with a thin strip of mahogany in the center (lengthwise) What I ended up doing to fix the ugly spot was cut off a thin strip of maple (that contained the spot), and replaced it by laminating another strip of mahogany. I did the same on the other side to keep it symmetrical. While this wasn't what I originally wanted, the end result was perfect, minus ugly black blemish. Thanks a lot!!

Comment

you need not necessarily cut a veneer. you can route out an 1/8 square/rectangle and cut a piece of stock similar/same grain patterns on the ban saw just a little bigget than 1/8th thick. glue it in, hit it with the sander, hand scraper and blend it. David Marks episode on wood repair is awesome. permanent fix in my tivo
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
        X