No announcement yet.

Lumber storage

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber storage

In my garage I have my bigger tools (TS, RS, CMS and DP) all on casters which males it very nice when I have a project underway and then can wheel them back out of the way when the wife wants to get her vehicle back in.

My problem is that I hate to throw away any decent sized wood scraps thinkng I could use them later. Sometimes I can, but often they stay around for a couple of years gathering saw dust and spiders.

Also, I might purchase the wood and then not get to the job for a month, causing additional problems.

Has anyone developed a good method of storing lumber in a garage?

I made a wood storage/shelving unit from an idea in a woodworking book.

The premise is to frame an 8' long section of open wall (2x4's) and attach it to the floor and ceiling up to several inches away from the interior wall (preferably in line with your main garage access).

The space between the open shelving and the interior wall is a great place to store plywood and other sheet goods as they can be slid out easily when you are ready to use them.

On the other side you can attach brackets to the studs for storing hardwood, veneers and project left-overs (always handy for future projects and jigs). I used some scrap 3/4" plywood for my brackets and attached them with drywall screws. Snap a chalk line on the studs to keep your brackets in line. Its worth taking time to make sure each bracket is level.

This project was a huge time and space saver. It only takes a couple of hours to put together and makes it much easier to keep your work area clean and organized.

Two suggestions:

1. I have just completed creating a method of storing plywood in the ceiling. Since I have some garage attic storage via stairs for wood (ie: 1x & 2x material up to 8 ft long), I had to have some where to store a small number of plywood sheets and spare pieces.

I considered a solution similar to DENNISM but I could not spare the wall space. Too much stuff (bicycles, ladders, etc) that family members need access too. Also when wallspace is available, I want to fill it with a new tool or workbench. I ended up hanging brackets from the garage ceiling that will hold about 4 sheets of plywood.

I used carrage bolts to secure 2x4 strips at 90` angle to garage rafters. There are two strips about 4'6" apart with each strip being about 8' long. The 2x4s are drilled to support 1/2" threaded rod using large washers and nuts. At the bottom of the rods other washers and nuts support 1x strips about 5' long at 90` to the 2x4's. These strips support the plywood. I used 3 1x strips on 2' spacing. My finished garage ceiling is 8`4". The bottom of the brackets are at the 7'6" - barely above the raised garage door.

I was concerned about the weight being supported so I probably over designed the brackets. Also, I sized the space to prevent overload and ensured the rafters were strong enough to support the weight.

This works fine for me. The small amount stored made if fairly easy to retrieve the pieces I have needed. It's not a perfece solution but it's all I could do with the space and stuff...

2. I have been told of a solution similar to DENNISM's where the support structure was built to rotate. When the structure is in it's stored location it's about 4' wide, 8+ ft high and 2ft deep. One corner is connected to the garage wall using heavy hinges. The other corners are supported with heary rubber rollers.

Lumber and plywood is stored in layers. From the garage side, strips of lumber can be stored upright in outside pockets. Plywood is stored closer to the garage wall. To access plywood, the structure is rotated away from the wall to allow large sheets to be slid in or out.

I have not seen the diagram, but imagine that with the space, it could be very useful. I understand that it also was published in a woodworking magazine several years ago..

Hope these ideas help...