Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the router one of the most easy to use Pcs of Equip?

Just wondering. Looked at many fixtures, etc at the woodworking show. I think it is. Just for grins.

If you can afford all the different attachments for a router then it is an easy tool to use. But you lose a lot of time in setting it up in the different jigs and such. I don't use mine anymore than i have to.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Forgot to add that this is my opinion so everyone can state theirs and not jump me for being so wrong. LOL
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

It is the most versatile piece of equipment, but also one of the most tedious to set up. I would have a hard time getting along without mine.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Maybe not the easiest piece of equipment to use, but probably the most versatile. There are so many jigs that can be bought or made for it, that it's usefullness may only be limited by your imagination. I can't imagine not having one (which is why I have 4).

Bob R

Comment

Originally posted by Bob R:
            Maybe not the easiest piece of equipment to use, but probably the most versatile. There are so many jigs that can be bought or made for it, that it's usefullness may only be limited by your imagination. I can't imagine not having one (which is why I have 4).

Bob R
            I agree with Bob....not the easiest IMO b/c plenty can and does go wrong, but it is extremely versatile. More goes wrong free handing. Mounted in a table is safer and easier. With the right bits and some imagination, you can do unbelievable things with a router. I suppose that's why so many of us have more than one....many have more than two...alot have more than three...etc,.

What is the easiest piece of wwing equipment...hhhmmm...definitely a DC!

The DP is not to complicated. A biscuit cutter is pretty simple. Prolly a palm sander can do the least amount of damage...or at least you have to screw things up alot more for a longer period of time to get the degree of damage!

Comment

Funny. The palm sander is the one piece that always messes up my work. I always get pigtails or other bad marks with it.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael, can you say "higher grit count" LOL

Comment

I shouldn't be getting pigtails with 220 grit, but I do anyway. I use my Ridgid ROS now and never have a problem at any grit.
                  Maybe it's the cheap Ryobi palm sander? I never tried a high end brand
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Do you wipe your project down between grits? Sometimes pigtails are caused by some of the lower grit being left on the project and rubbed around by the next higher grits. Maybe the paper you are using on the Ridgid ROS is better quality than that used on the Ryobi so it doesn't drop as much grit.
                    Course maybe your assumption about the Ryobi is true as well [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I do wipe down between grits. The paper I use in my ROS is lower quality than the paper for my ryobi. My best guess is that the ryobi is a POS. On the plus side, I've had it over 10 years and it still works! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

The router is probably the most versatile power tool. However, you'll end up spending a great deal of time, money, and effort to get the most out of it. Its versatility results from the ability to use it with a wide array of jigs and fixtures. Most of the stuff I do is one ofs and I don't really maximize the potential of my router--takes too much time to build the jigs.

Comment

The router definitely has a longer setup time. But for example, when I do a chamfer. On the TS it is quick to setup and do. But I occasionly get a burn and tearout.
                          With the router the setup is a little longer, it takes more time to cut the chamfer, but I never get a burn and tearout is rare and the chamfer is much nicer. In general the router makes nicer cuts.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Years ago In high school metal shop,
                            our teacher said the metal lathe can practically
                            build itself, us dummies just nodded along in agreement
                            without really pondering the idea. This thread reminds me
                            of that.

Comment

Not easiest to use by any stretch. Just because of all the different uses, cuts, jigs, bits, etc. I am still finding new uses for mine after years of use.

Easiest to use woodcutting tool has to be a sawzall.

Comment

Working...
                              X