X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigs & Materials

I'm looking to make some jigs for my R4511 table saw. I was thinking of making a table saw sled and a box joint jig to start with. There's a lot of info out there regarding what kinds of materials (wood) to use for the jigs.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm not a limited budget, so I'm not looking for wood I need to order from Russia or something. This is for a weekend warrior who wants square & functional jigs.

I'm in the Appleton, WI area, and I'm not sure where to find "good wood". Can anyone help with that?

Re: Jigs & Materials

Pretty much all the jigs I have ever made over the years have been made with scrap material left over from other projects. As long as the jig will end up to be functional there is no real reason to go overboard expense wise. Plywood, hardboard, and MDF are my usual choices.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

+1 for those materials.

I may use hardwoods for runner material or a fence, but the main base of all

my jigs is usually MDF. Relatively cheap and more stable than real wood.

Comment

And, further to what the other posters have said, MDF is flat, true and square.............
        Big G

Comment

I like the MDF idea. That stuff is readily available. What materials do you use for Zero Clearance Inserts? Would 1/2 MDF work for this on my R4511?

Comment

yes. you might have to route a rabbet around the underside perimeter if it's too thick, but mdf is what i use for my ZCI.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X