gotta twisted door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gotta twisted door

Hey all, I glued up a door and took many precautions to keep it from twisting but as soon as I unclamped it, it twisted a bit. At this point is there any way to flatten it out? I have it clamped down to a flat surface now but whenever I take the clamps off it has a mind of its own. HELP

You haven't provided many details----is this frame and panel door----mortise and tenon joints, etc.

In general, I'd take a close look at the joints to see if, possible, any are uneven or could be responsible for the twisting. If you do find an obvious error, and already glued, you're still in for a load of work, as you'd have to unglue the joints, which may or maynot separate without damage.

Short answer----I suppose you could try laying some weights on the door to tweak it back the other way, but I haven't heard of much success at this----likely, you're going to need to make a new door. Let us know the type of construction you're using and someone may have some tips.
    Dave

Comment

The door is mortise and tenon and the joints all fit perfectly before glue up. I think the wood was not completely dry when it was constructed. If this was the case would weighing it down help as it continues to dry?

Comment

I understand how you feel----you can try to weigh it down and let it sit for a while, but don't get your hopes up.

I learned quite a bit from my last project with M&T frames and panels---just for future use----first, before I start the project, I try to select the straightest and tightest grain for the stiles and rails. Then, if you're using rough stock, I make may cuts before I plane it done---make width cuts a bit wider than needed, than let the wood sit around for a while---of course, as you metion,you need dry wood. Reason I do this is, lucky for me, I'd cut out my stock for rails and stiles our of some wider boards---pretty good grain---then I got pulled of the project before I started cutting my M&Ts----came back to some bad twisting. I think it pays to let the wood do what it wants to before gluing it up. Hope this was some help.
        Dave

Comment

there are tricks that correct this problems. I'll just touch base on a few of the more common ones.

First, you can soak the wood with water, over twist the door in the oposite direction by clamping, weighing, etc, and force air dry it with a fan.

Second, cut a slot on the inside of the frame 1/2 inch wide, 1/4 deep with a router. Cut a curved piece and glue it into place in the oposite direction of the door twist. This is often used using a hard, dense wood insert against a softer wood door frame.

Third, is if it's in the machined joints. You razor cut the glue joint to open a gap. insert some epoxy, force the gap shut by clamping.

In some cases, door twist can be accounted for not in the rail and stiles themselfs, but in the panel material. If this is the case, you can make a cross frame for the inside of the door with a half lap joint at the X part of the frame. Glue it solid to the panel. Most cases this would be if the panel was thin 1/4" plywood or the like.

On your next door, dry fit it forcing all the joints tight, not using clamps and lay it on a flat surface. If it's the joints, file, sand or chisel as neccessary to get the joints to fit solid and the door to be flat. If it's the panel, try dividing the panel into smaller pieces. Not knowing if this is the case here, it's a thought.

If it's a solid wood, and thicker, before machining the raise panel profiles, lay the glue up on a flat surface, plane as needed to get it flat.

I hope this helps you, at least a little bit.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X