X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router table

I am moving the rails over on my ts2424. I am interested in locating a router table on the right side.I am looking for a way to do it that won't break the bank. It looks like you can go over $200 in the blink of an eye. How can I save some cash but get a workable table. Any thoughts about retaining the mobility of the saw whem I change the rails and add weight on right side.I guess I will need side supports with wheels that will adjust?

Consider making your own. BIG $$$$$ savings doing it this way. Do a Google search on "homemade router table" and you'll probably find many examples. Or, find one in a catalog that you like and copy it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I just purchased a router table and fence that fits between the rails on my TS3650 from www.mulecab.com. Very good prices compared to other pre-made tables I looked at. Even the cost of building your own would probably not be too much less. I think I paid just under $200.00 for the table and fence, and both are equipped with t-slots and other nice features. Instead of drilling holes in the rails to mount it, I drilled holes in the sides of the router table, installed the same square-head bolts used to mount the tablesaw rail to the base, and the router table fit perfectly between the rails, with the square-head bolts in the rail t-slots. I added the table in addition to the tablesaw wing, though added additional support to the end of the table to ease the weight on the rails.

Check it out.

Comment

Don't make the job harder than it is. Build yourself a table, using hardwood for edge and center support with either Baltic Birch plywood or MDF, covered with high pressure laminet. The hardwood frame helps to stablize the surface, and gives you a place to screw it into the frame of the rails and end of the webbed wing. I used machine screws for this with slightly larger holes, and large washers---this way, I could align the extension with the wing, similar to the method used in assembling the saw.

You'll likely have to beaf up the area where the router will sit, with an extra piece of ply'/MDF, to give good support to the insert plate (my recommendation) or direct mounting of the router--not as convienent.

As to a fence, again, there are many designs out there or you can buy a commercial fence. I'd lean towards one that easily attaches to your existing ts fence.

Regarding weight----(and with the Herculift, you have a better base than my old Craftsman saw)---I have a 40" Biesemeyer home shop fence, and an extension table which, at one time had a router mounted. I solved the problem of the weight balance by building a hanging cabinet under the left wing of the saw. This cabinet (essentially a box) extended the full depth and length of the wing and had a height that extended down the side to where the legs began to flare. I installed two drawers (one opening from the front, one from the back), with a long shelf underneath for things like push sticks, taper jig, etc. This assembly nicely balanced the weight on the other side of the saw and I had it on a mobile base----never came even close to tipping.

Good luck.
        Dave

Comment

Look here.

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=5;t=002363

I just made one from a Delta extension table that was on sale at Rocklers for $15. It was 27" X 24". Fit perfectly.

[ 06-25-2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Golfmore ]

Comment

Since I couldn't decide who's router table I wanted yet I thought about building one myself.
            Then I thought about using the POS portable one I got from HD a few years back.
            Well,I took off the legs and cut 2 1/4" off each end. Then I rabited out the ends to fit some 3/4 stock and bolted it between the rails. Since I already had the table all it cost me was about $4 for toilet bolts and I can use the TS fence for accuracy. Here's a picture of what I started with.

Comment

I am done with the router table. This was a lot of fun to build. I see why everyone wants do it. I sure could have used my router table to make my router table but I guess thats just how it goes.I think I used every other woodworking tool that I own. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Golfmore:
                Look here.

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=5;t=002363

I just made one from a Delta extension table that was on sale at Rocklers for $15. It was 27" X 24". Fit perfectly.
                The forum is having DNS issues. Use this link:
                http://216.178.164.72/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=5;t=002363

Comment

Messmaker,
                  As I promised, here is a photo of my setup.

Steve

Comment

benchdog www.benchdogtools.com has an interesting item
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

http://www.benchdog.com/Products/Protop/ProMAX.htm

This is the link .

Comment

Working...
                      X