Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Ridgid TS3650 - what is a good/fair price?

I am looking at a TS3650 for which the owners are asking $400. I know a few years ago these were being closed out at HD for less than that, so I am hoping to get guidance on what a fair price is for a used table saw.

Is $200, $225, $250 fair, as long as the unit is complete and in good condition?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff (OTB)

PS - sorry for any double posts. I tried once several hours ago and the first post went somewhere in cyberspace.

Re: Used Ridgid TS3650 - what is a good/fair price?

It really depends on condition, extras, current market, etc. $400 is high IMO, even if it's like new...there's no riving knife, there are no return privileges, and it pushes toward the price of something new. $300 is about the upper limit for me if it's in great shape, but it always boils down to the whims of the individuals involved.
    Last edited by hewood; 09-16-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I would say somewhere in the $250 - $300 range would be a fair price but only if all the parts and pieces are there and in working order.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thank you hewood and BadgerDave.

Presuming all is well and I agree on a reasonable price with the owners, it appears that, in the owner's manual I might have success in stuffing this thing in my Subaru wagon upside down, after taking off the fence rails and the entire leg assembly by removing it from the base. Would this assumption be correct? If I have to rent something to transport it, then I might as well go to HD and purchase myself a brand new hybrid.

Comment

You should have no trouble hauling that 3650 in your Subaru if you take it apart like you described. Still, it would be adviseable to have some help with the loading and unloading.

Comment

Thanks. Indeed I do plan and hope to have the help of a friend who has a bit of woodworking experience come along with me. He'll take a look at the saw and help me shove it in the car if I buy it. I'd bet it outweighs me by at least 100 pounds!

Comment

I'd like to throw my 2cents in here, as someone who may be selling a TS3660 in the near future.

I think you also need to take account of what you get with the saw. For example, there may be a router table setup. It might come with a router too, that's specific to the router table.

There may be other accessories. I have a spare rip fence for mine, that is very useful indeed for the router table.

I don't necessarily agree that $400 is high on the basis of they were clearanced for less. I used to think that, but my views have changed. They were clearanced for $399, but if you wanted to buy one now, you couldn't. The table on the TS3650/60 is HUGE for a table saw. It's 44" wide. Bigger than any other hybrid or contractor's saw. Only matched by the cabinet saws. Even then, they may not be as wide. The fence is smooth as glass. That's not something you would find on one of the new ones.

The condition is the big thing for the saw itself. It would be easy to let the cast iron go, and some people advertise this as "light rust" when in fact it's just plain old rusty and pitted.

I'd pay particular attention to the aluminum extrusions for the fence, front and rear rails. If any of those are bent, they are expensive parts.

Comment

A seller or potential seller must also take into account that any add on to the original saw may or may not be worth anything to a potential buyer. Unless the buyer feels the ad-on is truly worthwhile it really only has value to the original owner.

Comment

Those new hybrid saws have crap for tables when compared to a 3650.

Comment

Tough to pay 400 bucks for a used saw, but as long as it is in excellent condition, I would consider it. Maybe if the seller won't move very much on the price, you can get him to deliver it to your place as part of the included price.

I have a 3650, which I paid 1000 dollars CDN for quite a few years back. It ended up going on sale, and HD credited me the 500 dollars, but I was prepared to pay for the quality that the 3650 offers - its an excellent TS.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                      Those new hybrid saws have crap for tables when compared to a 3650.
                      I disagree - The Craftsman 22124 and 22114 offered 12" solid cast wings for a solid cast iron surface of 44" with no spaces... same with the General International 50-200R and 50-220R, as does the Grizzly G0661. The new Steel City 35990C offers 13" solid cast wings for a solid cast iron surface of 46" inches. Seems like pretty nice crap to me, and I'm sure there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_back View Post
                        Thank you hewood and BadgerDave.

Presuming all is well and I agree on a reasonable price with the owners, it appears that, in the owner's manual I might have success in stuffing this thing in my Subaru wagon upside down, after taking off the fence rails and the entire leg assembly by removing it from the base. Would this assumption be correct? If I have to rent something to transport it, then I might as well go to HD and purchase myself a brand new hybrid.
                        The 3650 does lack the new safety features mandated for current saws, but it is an excellent table saw and if in very good condition should be worth $250 to $300 on its own. IF there are extras that are of value to you the buyer then they might warrant paying more. If I had a choice of a 3650 in very good to excellent condition in the 250-300 range against a current saw, I think I would go rent a trailer or truck for a couple hours and haul the 3650 home. Remember you can rent a truck for a reasonable price at most Home Depots or Lowes stores. In my area it's less than $50 for 90 minutes.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                          I disagree - The Craftsman 22124 and 22114 offered 12" solid cast wings for a solid cast iron surface of 44" with no spaces... same with the General International 50-200R and 50-220R, as does the Grizzly G0661. The new Steel City 35990C offers 13" solid cast wings for a solid cast iron surface of 46" inches. Seems like pretty nice crap to me, and I'm sure there are others.
                          The ones that I have seen have had that thin stamped steel for wings which I consider inferior to the 3650 cast iron top. I would not buy one when I can find a saw with a complete cast iron top. But to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                            The ones that I have seen have had that thin stamped steel for wings which I consider inferior to the 3650 cast iron top. I would not buy one when I can find a saw with a complete cast iron top. But to each his own.

"Those new hybrid saws have crap for tables when compared to a 3650."
                            I definitely prefer cast iron over stamped steel too. I'm just pointing out that there are many hybrids that offer big solid cast iron tables too...only some have stamped steel. The way I read your statement sort of made it sound like all hybrids have crap (steel) tables, and I just wanted to clarify for others who might not know...

Comment

Nah, I was referring to the model (s) that replaced the 3650.

Comment

Working...
                              X