free hand table saw use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: free hand table saw use

KInda reminds me of an old guy who worked in the shop. He never wore a face shield or glasses when drilling metal on the drill press. When I asked him why, he said 'if you're looking right at it, you know when to turn away when something flies out.' !! He made it through 35 years without any trouble, but I always wore my face shield anyway...
    Lloyd Kerry

Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
    The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
    Does what it’s designed to do - keep your products from getting ruined by the weather as you transport them, and does it well.
    http://www.kerrywoodworking.com

Comment

I thing that some people just have "an angel sitting on their shoulder". Doing something dangerous (by all popular advice and from a known history of accidents) and not having it "bite you", isn't much of an excuse... or should I say it's the excuse of the "bull-headed".

Reminds me of the guy who worked in our shop, making boxes for the parts shipping department. He had lost one eye in an accident earlier in his life, yet he refused to wear safety glasses. His excuse was that with only one eye, he could see better without glasses! They finally fired him, but that was heavily protested by the union. I never could quite understand how he ever got past the first hour of employment as safety glasses are a requirement to even enter the shop, much less work there. I've seen a number of salary people "sent home" for any infraction of that rule.

Similarly, my Dad was a heavy smoker and died of lung cancer. DUH! In his last weeks and days, I'd watch him unhook his oxygen and put it away so that he could take a cigarette break. He'd yell and scream that nobody ever "proved" that smoking caused cancer. They found a pack of cigarettes in his night stand the morning after he died.

Using a saw without regard to safety is a lot like that... somethings are obviously clear to most everyone except the guy who insists he knows better than everyone else and he's yet to be "PROVEN WRONG". And while we all have that right, I do have a problem with some TV program promoting that speed and other non-safe use is the norm. Apparenty, they don't have a "liability" advisor.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 10-02-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

It's no excuse. It's a good technique. I do it all the time with no troubles. If someone else doesn't feel comfortable with it then that's just fine. I don't condemn their work processes even though I may disagree with them. I sure don't give a darn about popular opinion either. I just like to do what I can around the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          I have done things with a chop saw that make me wonder wth I was thinking. I have free cut with a chop saw as well, slight curves to boot. Now I keep a jigsaw and coping saw with me at all times to avoid having to do that.
          Yeah, same here. I have done plenty of unusual cuts on trim jobs with a chopsaw. Most of the time a chopsaw and a table saw are the only two that are setup.

Comment

Using what you think is skill in place of common sense and good safety is why there are emergency rooms and surgeons. I thought I had pretty good control when sharpening a chisel on a 1 hp grinder. Thought I had fast reflexes as the grinder tugged on the burrs. Thought I had pretty good strength compared to the small motor. I thought wrong! Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
              It's no excuse. It's a good technique. I do it all the time with no troubles. If someone else doesn't feel comfortable with it then that's just fine. I don't condemn their work processes even though I may disagree with them. I sure don't give a darn about popular opinion either. I just like to do what I can around the shop.

I rest my case!

But please note that I did say, "we all have that right".

The only possible problem is when the forces decide to bite you and what may happen afterwards. Of course, my sincerest wishes are that such an occurance never happens to you or anyone that you might teach or be setting an example for. But should such skillful use somehow fail, then what will your reaction be? Will you moan and groan your lost digit and pain, will you burden the insurance company and the hospital and worse your family with taking care of you and your pain? Or will it just be a simple matter of "Oh Sh!t"... and you'll just press on and only have to occasionally answer a "What happened?".

In any case, may your skill always serve you well and may you always be on the safe side of probabilities.

CWS

Comment

I bet some of the discussion lies with how one was raised, and what kid of working conditions they are use to,

First of all most any object has a give element of hazard associated with it, you make that object moving the hazard increase with the power source and the type of object it is,

look at the tools of day gone bye, 3/4" hand held drills with toggle switches, saws that did not even come with a guard, much of the first factory equipment was a near death trap, old farming equipment was you did not get near it if moving, I had a tractor and you sat over the PTO shaft with your feet handing on both sides of it, (yes it had a small tin shield) but in now way was safe as you mounted the tractor from the rear, the early tractors used the long flat belts, that flopped and whipped when running,
                we used an auger for years, that you had to start the gasoline engine and let it warm up and get running and then you would take the belt with your hand and carefully flip it on to the moving pulley on the engine, and that same pulley had a key way and a hub that had bolts in it, (that was the way 95% of that kind of equipment was operated), (I know of only one farmer losing a finger do to an auger start),
                grain augers all had open flighting on them, (no safety cages), and yet many a young man was operating that equipment at age 10, some times earlier,
                and then you had the old rope pull starters, and even the hand cranks on many engines. many tractors did not even have fenders on the rear wheels you sat with inches of the moving wheels for many hours at a time,

you were just use to working around moving equipment yes people got hurt from time to time, and over the years, more safety items have come to pass,

I look as some of the old ways and wonder how any one survived it, yet the accident rates for the type of equipment and hazards was really incredibly small, probably less than to day for the hazards that were present,

now some one who has operated a tool or pieces of equipment for many years in a given way may have the knowledge and skill to do the hazardous process, where some one to day would or is scared to death to even see it being done,
                Is the process safe in all probability is most likely is not, can it be done safely or more safely, some may be able to,

IN many cases a lot has to do with where your hands are with a saw, and if you have a grip on the lumber in such a way that if it does grab your hand is not pulled into the blade, many will try to fight the wood from going in the process letting there hands to move and get pulled in to the blade,

it is some what like driving dirt roads, if the shoulder on the edge of the road starts to pull you into the ditch don't fight it hard or your going to roll the car, if you can keep it straight and get slowed down or even if it takes one in to the ditch you most likely will still be up right, and be able to drive right back out or at least be towed out but your car most likely will be fine and up right, but if you fight it you will be wrecked, and possibly hurt, (most kids learn this in the country when they start to drive, as most every one will dump a car up side down in a ditch when the shoulder gives way,

one more thing, I have been hurt much more by plain old hand tools than power tools in my life, but I do know if I am ever hurt by a power tool most likely it will be a bad hurt,

so what ever your choice is do it carefully and use common sense, many times it is well worth a push stick or a fence or a miter gage,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Could you please sign a waiver so we don't have to pay your disability or support your kids if you die or are injured for working the way you choose to.

I have no problem with you working the way you see as correct for YOU. But when it could affect others either physically or monetarily THEN I think it is my concern. Before you are killed please make sure your life insurance is sufficient to take care of your family for the rest of their lives. I don't see why I should have to support them because you choose to work the way you do. Same goes for your Social Security, no benefit beyond what you would have gotten if you had lived a normal life and retired at a normal age. No reason why I should be saddled with supporting your family because you were too lazy or not forward thinking enough to take an extra step or put on a pair of safety glasses to whatever basic safety rule you chose not to follow that day. You want to be master of your own destiny, then be willing to face the consequences also. Along with that be willing to take on the support for anyone injured or killed from an action you took. Say that free-handed cut you make on the TS flies across the room and hits someone in the head and kills them. What are you going to say to their wife and kids?

Oh, wait...you're a pro and it will never come to that. Sorry I forgot you were perfect and never make a mistake and never have anything unanticipated happen to you.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I look as some of the old ways and wonder how any one survived it, yet the accident rates for the type of equipment and hazards was really incredibly small, probably less than to day for the hazards that were present,
                    I wonder how much of that was because many accidents never got reported. Like when we were kids and did something dumb and got hurt. Did it make it into any report or statistic? Heck no, you took your lumps and went on, hopefully learning not to make the same mistake again. The school of hard knocks it was called right? Also, in many an industry you didn't dare report an injury or you would be fired, and that attitude still exists today in employers and employees (fear of being laid off).
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

LOL, some of you guys take yourself s way to seriously. There is nothing like good old Internet drama. And that is all this is.

Comment

You bet!

CWS

Comment

I have not used my table saw since reading this thread! True, I had no plans to use it but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            I have not used my table saw since reading this thread! True, I had no plans to use it but still.
                            With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway.

Comment

With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway.
                              This is another example of the limits of communicating like this as opposed to speaking in person. Here I try to make a joke by suggesting the content of the thread scared me away from using my table saw and then I admit I was not going to use it anyway. You either don't get the joke or decide to respond with a stupid comment which is in no way funny or accurate. Ah the limits of the internet and the bold comments made from a keyboard. Frank

Comment

Franki,

I think he meant it to be funny, as I read it that way! But perhaps he just freehanded it and forgot to use the "smilies" guide

CWS

Comment

Working...
                                X