X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: free hand table saw use

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    Franki,

I think he meant it to be funny, as I read it that way! But perhaps he just freehanded it and forgot to use the "smilies" guide

CWS
    That's what I meant by the limits of the internet. If abbott had meant it as a joke and forgot the smiles then by all means I get the humor and apologize. We have had some heated exchanges so I'm naturally on guard for negative comments. No big deal, it's just letters on a screen.

Comment

"I know what I'm doing".

Famous last words hall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by BrazosJake View Post
        "I know what I'm doing".

Famous last words hall of fame.
        Add "Hold my beer" and "Watch this" to the list.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

What's entertaining is that a few guys from the Internet don't like the way I use a machine that I bought and paid for and that I use in my own shop. I don't care who you are, that's just funny!

Comment

I am wondering...haven't any of you guys ever removed the guard from your skillsaw so you can use it as a shaper?

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
              I am wondering...haven't any of you guys ever removed the guard from your skillsaw so you can use it as a shaper?
              I have and I'm sure others have as well. I think the negative replies were meant as a general warning to those who don't have your level of experience. I'm sure there are folks who will get hurt regardless of the saftey precautions in place.

Now since you are here. What exactly was the spirit of your comment.
              "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway."
              Just want to know if you were trying to be funny, or insulting?

Comment

Abbot,

My dear old Dad was a guy who could do anything. Working with him taught me a lot and though he passed away many years ago, I remember him well and wish that I had half the skills that he did.

But, I still sharply remember a late August night in 1958 when he did exactly as you just asked... "shaper" head on the table saw and he was cutting a "beaded round" on a cabinet door edge.... and what seemed to be going along quite nicely for several pieces, just went, "Wuuumppph"... !!!! I can still see the room, the saw, and remember the sound as if it was just earlier today.

He just grabbed a wrag, wrapped it around his left hand and said, "We've got to go home NOW!"

Long story short, I walked back later that night to meet the the owner and turn off the lights and lock up the place. There was a lot of blood down the stairs from that kitchen and across the basement garage floor. I cleaned that white 56' Merc the next day.... blood from the driver's door blown back down the side and into the back bumper. Good thing Dad headed home as it was only a mile away... I don't think he would have maintained consciousness for the nine mile drive to the hospital.

He lost two fingers and mangled a third, all on his left hand. He was in the hospital for over a week, as I recall; and even after a decade, he still got "phantom" pain in those missing fingers.

I was just 14 at the time.

So Abbot, it's your saw, your shop, your life, your work habits. Good Luck with all of that, and I wouldn't think of forcing any changes (not that anyone could, obviously). But I still wouldn't promote anyone else to follow your lead.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I have and I'm sure others have as well. I think the negative replies were meant as a general warning to those who don't have your level of experience. I'm sure there are folks who will get hurt regardless of the saftey precautions in place.

Now since you are here. What exactly was the spirit of your comment.
                  "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway."
                  Just want to know if you were trying to be funny, or insulting?
                  No, they were out of concern for those who come here and read the stuff out of context. For those who don't know who is pulling whose leg because they were not part of the original conversation being as they are reading it a year later say having got here from an Google search about using guards ontablesaws. They come and readand see that others find it ok, and with little or no personal expierence to draw on they figure its ok to ditch the guard.

I'm not so concerned with how you choose to work as i said, my concern is for those who pick up your bad habbits and for when you file an injury claimthat causes my insurance to go up.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Did I mention I never installed the guard on my tablesaw.
                    Last edited by Abbott; 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

No... but should any of us be surprised?

Comment

regardless, of whom or what, or who says what, this life is not not risk free, using guards not using guards, free hand cutting no free hand cutting,

I have watched the "extreme sports" on TV, of kids doing flips on the there motorcycles, jumping over things,
                        no In my opinion, (and yes I was young once and did ride some motocross) but would never think of doing what there doing, I would say that is breaking nearly ever rule in the book, for safe riding, but then some may say that just riding a motor cycle is not safe, (and yes many of the extreme riders have got hurt, and will get hurt.

all I know is that for me to go and try to flip the motorcycle over a jump would not be wise, but apparently for some they can do it with a given amount of expertise, and repeat the action over and over again, to me doing a back flip on a motor cycle regardless of your skill level is not safe, I am sure there would be discussion by one who can do it and do it repeatably as to the safety of the stunt,

should one free hand cut, the written rules say no, is there more danger or risk in it, YES,
                        can it be done apparently as most here have said they have done it in some manor,

really the question may be should it be done?

All I know is life will never be risk free, and at times Knowing what the RISK is half of the problem,
                        when a novice or beginner, does some thing that a seasoned pro does it can defiantly Be a disaster, (just like if I went to jump a motorcycle today and try a back flip), my guess is it would be a disaster, (for me and the bike), but for some of these hot shot kids, it is an ever day ride,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          I am all for safety and innovation, but I do not want it forced up on us, (and I want to choose the levels of safety I work under).
                          I lifted this quote from the SawStop thread. I agree.

What some try to claim are "bad work" habits without much of an idea of what techniques or cuts they are actually commenting about should consider the above quote... AND the fact that they are making blanket comments without any first hand knowledge whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            regardless, of whom or what, or who says what, this life is not not risk free, using guards not using guards, free hand cutting no free hand cutting,

I have watched the "extreme sports" on TV, of kids doing flips on the there motorcycles, jumping over things,
                            no In my opinion, (and yes I was young once and did ride some motocross) but would never think of doing what there doing, I would say that is breaking nearly ever rule in the book, for safe riding, but then some may say that just riding a motor cycle is not safe, (and yes many of the extreme riders have got hurt, and will get hurt.

all I know is that for me to go and try to flip the motorcycle over a jump would not be wise, but apparently for some they can do it with a given amount of expertise, and repeat the action over and over again, to me doing a back flip on a motor cycle regardless of your skill level is not safe, I am sure there would be discussion by one who can do it and do it repeatably as to the safety of the stunt,

should one free hand cut, the written rules say no, is there more danger or risk in it, YES,
                            can it be done apparently as most here have said they have done it in some manor,

really the question may be should it be done?

All I know is life will never be risk free, and at times Knowing what the RISK is half of the problem,
                            when a novice or beginner, does some thing that a seasoned pro does it can defiantly Be a disaster, (just like if I went to jump a motorcycle today and try a back flip), my guess is it would be a disaster, (for me and the bike), but for some of these hot shot kids, it is an ever day ride,
                            When I first read this thread I thought, "You have to be an idiot to free hand cut on a table saw. I still think it is wrong and would never do it, but appreciate BHD's analysis. My biggest fear is that it is dangerous to gain the experience needed to accomplish these cuts.

My question is, why do it? If you feel like the only safe free hand cut is ripping, why not use the rip fence?
                            In what cases does the risk outweigh the work needed to do the task more safely?
                            Last edited by cjh20; 10-14-2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                              What some try to claim are "bad work" habits without much of an idea of what techniques or cuts they are actually commenting about should consider the above quote... AND the fact that they are making blanket comments without any first hand knowledge whatsoever.
                              I'm always interested in new ways of doing things and perhaps you've got a method you'd like to share. I think any question might simply lay in your definition of "freehand", much as BHD as mentioned. Regardless, you're free to use your tools in any way you feel fit. I don't think any of us are saying that. We may not agree with you, as you don't agree with us, but nothing is inferred beyond that and advice never has to be followed or even listeded too.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                                My question is, why do it? If you feel like the only safe free hand cut is ripping, why not use the rip fence?
                                In what cases does the risk outweigh the work needed to do the task more safely?
                                #2 hardwood is not straight by any means of the imagination. It needs to have a straight line cut on one end prior to any other sizing operations. In some instances it is not very practical to attach it to another board for its initial milling as it will leave holes on the lumber. Damage from screw or nail holes are typically not acceptable in stain grade material. The way I was taught, snap a line, run it thru the saw. I still left it up to the boss on critical pieces, but on long pieces, I never had much problem as long as I was careful, had my outfeed table set up properly, and had somebody on the receiving end to assist with guiding the material.

I stand my my statement that I made in the table saw thread; I know way more carpenters with missing fingers from Skilsaw accidents than millwrights, carpenters and homeowners who are missing fingers from table saw accidents.
                                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                                X