Comments on TP1300 Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pamulli:
    Lots of gauging and a very inconsistent surface.
    Pamulli

Check your post in the general woodworking section.

Jake

Comment

After some months of visiting my Ridgid planer at HD, I finally got to bring it home last week. I'm really happy with it except for the very small divots that I am blaming on chips that fall down on the board as it goes thru. I have seen quite a few posts regarding this problem and maybe I made a mistake buying the planer. I have the dust collector on it with the 16gal vac but it isn't helping. I could take it back but from what I have seen in the tools tests I have read, I don't know what I would replace it with. Does anyone have this planer and not have problems with divots?

Comment

This is added thought to my previous post. I talked to my neighbor this morning and found out that he has a 2 year old TP1300 with no dust collection device. He told me he has had no problems with divots. Am wondering if there is something in the collection device that is affecting the air flow. To re-phrase my previous question, does anyone have the planer with the dust collection device and no problems with divots. There must be an answer to this often posted concern.

Comment

Just browsing and noticed this post.

Gouging & divots:
          This will occur on ANY planer if the piece is fed "against" the grain. Always feed so the cutter is cutting "with" the grain. To determine which direction this is, look at the grain direction on the edge of the board and imagine it is a cat's fur. Feed the piece so that the blade is stroking the grain, not ruffling it. I have a DW733, but I assume the blade rotation is the same on the TP1300, which is ccw if standing at the infeed to the right. If you're not sure of direction of rotation, raise the blade high enough to observe the blades and bump the switch on/off (hands off -- duh!).

Hope this helps.

rotsa ruck & bee safe

Rodney J in TX

Comment

"assume the blade rotation is the same"

Safe assumption. All planers (excepting some specialized huge iron) have to run the knives in the same direction, against the travel of the stock.

Dave

Comment

I have the TP1300 with the dust collection hood (DC by a shopvac with a cyclone bucket).

I don't have any problems with dents or pivots...

HTH

Comment

I have been using my TP1300 for awhile now and have tried using the dust chute many times only to have problems. The chips do end up backing up, falling on the wood causing 1. dents, pivots and 2.the feed rollers get covered and I end up with feed problems. I never have this problem without the chute mounted. I am using a shop vac for the dust collection until I install a cyclone.

Shop vacums were not designed for the volume of material that exits from the planer ( or many other machines)I think the high volume capacity of the cyclone will probably make the difference.I also plan to make my own chute that mounts off the planer a few inches to the back of the planers exit point.

Other than that this machine performs flawlessly. If Ridgid comes out with a two speed machine like Delta's that will be even better.

Ken

[ 08-23-2002, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: kenb ]

Comment

I just bought the TP1300 about a month ago and have ran through about 500 bd ft. Everything from cedar to hard maple. It works great! All I need now is a bigger dust collector. The only issue I would have with the planer is that there are not carbide blades available for it. (not that I am aware of anyway)I have pretty much baffed the first set of blades out of it.(probably the hard maple)It's nice that Ridgid supplies two sets with the planer when you buy it. Other than that I find that the planer is a great workhorse and plan a lot more work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by trenner:
                    This is added thought to my previous post. I talked to my neighbor this morning and found out that he has a 2 year old TP1300 with no dust collection device. He told me he has had no problems with divots. Am wondering if there is something in the collection device that is affecting the air flow. To re-phrase my previous question, does anyone have the planer with the dust collection device and no problems with divots. There must be an answer to this often posted concern.
                    You will notice a different sound when planing against the grain. This will cause divots, more commonly known as tearout. Take lighter cuts and if you hear the tell tail snapping of going through against the grain, turn the piece around and try again.

Comment

i had mine for about 6 months. had all sorts of problems with dust going back over the blades and damaging the wood. and i agree that vacs cant handle planer dust. got a pennstate dc and problem solved. flawless boards every time.

and i also agree with scorpion. padauk is very messy.

Comment

bought my planner about two months ago. Works great but, I messed up by not checking thickness over a long poplar board and as I fed it through the thickness got larger and stalled the cutter. Before it tripped the sprocket broke on the chain drive. I figured it was propably my fault so I ordered a new sprocket and after a minor dissasembly got the cutter unit above the screw assy replaced the sprocket and now I can't get the unit back down over the guide posts. Can't find anything in the user manual about a latch or anything but something is holding the head up on the guides. Anyone know the secret to getting this down so I can reassemble before I forget how.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Have had my TP1300 for over a year now and have run mahogany, white and red oak, cherry, pine, walnut, including many rough cut boards that needed as much as 1/2 planed off. I have never even changed knives. I realize I'm overdue for knives but have been procrastinating. This is the best Ridgid tool I have including 2412 table saw, dust collector system, shop vac, and drill press, all Ridgid. I have used calipers on both sides of planed boards and have exaclty the same thickness, although I know others have had to make adjustments.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                          X