X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on TP1300 Planer

I am in the market for a new planer, and was hoping to solicit some opinions on the Ridgid 13" planer. I have been using a Delta 22-560, and to say I was unhappy would be a gross understatement. The Ridgid seems to be extremely user friendly, and feature laden. However, it is $100 more than the Dewalt DW733 after rebate. They both have an extra set of blades, and dustchute. The Ridgid also has a floor stand (unimportant to me). I would suspect the DeWalt has a little better surface cut, but probably not noticeable except to the most discerning woodworker. My biggest concern is can the Ridgid cutterhead (not just the knives) be adjusted if it is out of parallel.

Would appreciate any experiences with the Ridgid planer.

Russ

I have been using my TP1300 since November and have had no problems to speak of. I just finished planing some 100 year old pine boards from an old barn. They were 1x12x16'!! Took them down to 3/4" and as long as I have rollers and support and don't try and take too much off at once, The Ridgid stood the test. Made alot of sawdust!!

Comment

I haven't had to adjust the head. The owners manual is on-line, check to see if this is covered in the book.

I have the TP1300 and my buddy has the DW733. They're pretty comparable, the TP1300 has an extra 1/2" cut and is quieter than the DW733.

After using both, I bought the TP1300.

Jeff

Comment

Bought mine in Oct and just tonight finished planing some 2x12 yellow pine. That was the first time I tried 12 wide boards and was very happy with the results.

Comment

I've taken pine and poplar down to 1/4" for some bookmatched panels (resawed them on my Ridgid Band Saw!) and man is this machine smoooooth. I've also run padauk, purpleheart and walnut through...no problemo.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Padauk is beatiful but MESSY! Don't wear your favorite college hockey team's sweatshirt while cutting or sanding it. Although my sweatshirt does have that nice Ridgid Red tint in several spots now

So far I haven't run anything longer than about 2 or 2 1/2 feet, but I've had ZERO snipe on everything I've put through it. Longer stock + gravity would probably produce some snipe if then stock isn't supported well enough.
          And the Ridgid is quieter than my Dad's Delta.

Pete
          \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rpageau:
            My biggest concern is can the Ridgid cutterhead (not just the knives) be adjusted if it is out of parallel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The parallelism of the cutterhead is checked 100% at the factory should it should be good, but if it isn't it can be adjusted by the user.

Jake

Comment

I have had my TP1300 for about a month now. I REALY like it. The only problem I have had with it happened while I was planing a 9' long, 6 1/2" wide walnut board 3/4" thick down to 1/2". After the first couple of passes, the feed rollers wouldn't feed the board through. Wiping down the rollers helped, but the problem reoccured. Anyone else have an experience like this? And yes, it does make lots and lots of sawdust!

JAP....grasshopper

Comment

John,

Clean and wax the main table. It will make all the difference in the world.

Jake

Comment

OK, I'll look stupid........ i keep hearing to wax the table. Should I use a particle type of wax or is Turtle Wax acceptable? I thought I had read somewhere that car wax would leave a residue on the wood.
                  Every project I start is a gamble.

Comment

Use a furniture paste wax. Johnson's, Butcher's, Minwax, about any of this sort.

Dave

Comment

Just make sure the wax does not contain silicone. Silicone can migrate and contaminate your wood and give you all kinds of finishing problems.

Comment

The Butchers Brand Wax seems to work real well. I purchased it a local hardware store, but saw it at Home Depot the other day. It also works well on the cast iron table saw and jointer parts.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MarkR ]
                        Mark

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your comments on the TP1300 Planer. After much research & hand-wringing I did pick up a TP1300 Planer Today. My first Ridgid power tool!

Russ

Comment

I purchased a TP1300 about a year ago and haven't used it much at all. I've only done two small projects with it. The first was a small table out of Alder and it worked great, but now I'm making 3 small chest of drawers out of soft maple and I'm getting horrible results. Lots of gauging and a very inconsistent surface. The wood is good quality and I have also tried it with Birch and more Alder and everything gives the same results. Even if I only take off 1/32", same results. I've only planed maybe 25' total with it so the blades shouldn't be dull, but I even changed them and it didn't make any difference. I'm also getting some snipe. I've read lots of good things about this planer so I'm guessing mine is a fluke, but if there is something I can easily check or adjust someone please let me know. As it is I'm trying to get it serviced under the warranty, but the service center made it sound like it wouldn't be covered? I did call Ridgid and they said if I couldn't get a satisfactory resolution to let them know and they would try to get HD to take it back. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

this may sound dumb but recheck your knives one of them may not be seated in the slot properly or may not be tight. you said you tried it with different wood wo its not the maple but their may be a chip or something under a knife

Comment

Working...
                              X