Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When A Bandsaw Blade Breaks..................

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When A Bandsaw Blade Breaks..................

Up to this point I've always considered myself fortunate in that I have never had a bandsaw blade break while I was using the bandsaw, that is until today. I have to say that it wasn't as big a deal as I imagined it would be. I had visions of the blade wiping around like an out of control fire hose when it fact all it did was go BANG! and the blade stopped moving instantly. Even though there was not a drop of blood shed there was a minor cleaning of the pants required as that BANG! startled the..........well you know what.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: When A Bandsaw Blade Breaks..................

Thanks for the laugh and glad you are not leaking - well not red stuff anyway!

Comment

I have heard that same bang! It can startle a guy.

Comment

Having a bandsaw blade break is not as exiting as having a grinding disc let loose on you, or having a tool take off on you unexpectedly.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Good show BD. I'm sure it got your attention.

The very first time I used a bandsaw, back in my junior year in High School, I broke the blade. It just snapped a nice 3-inch piece right there on the table and the rest just made a big racket inside the housing. The "teach" wasn't particularly happy with me, as I obviously twisted the piece when I shouldn't have.... "But hey, how about a little instruction instead of this trial and error stuff."

I only own a 9" Ryobi and until about three weeks ago I've managed okay... but at that time, I did something wrong and hard a loud band (as you reported) and it scared the crap out of me. But no breakage! The damn thing just came of the wheels, buggering up a few teeth though on the steel guides.

Still woke me up though!

CWS

Comment

Yeah, those things will make you jump when they break.

Tempered glass, now that will make you shat your pants when that breaks on you. Had a shower door go BOOM right in my hands, that was scary, and as loud as a gun shot... Damn it, that reminds me, I need to pay the glass guy still... Crap!

Comment

wait til you break a drum cable under tension

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Kinda off topic but talking about broken glass i worked For a guy just he just put aluminum railing on his patio at his bar so i scored all the old steel railings with 5' by 42" tempered glass railing system about ten pains in total. Being young and stupid as i some times am didnt want to wait till tommorow to get them worrying some one else would offer him money for them "he had told me get them out of hear there free " so i put them in my truck "my tie downs were twenty minutes away" thinking if i drive slow itll be fine. Going thru a four way stop i turned to watch the sheetes of metal and glass come out of my truck like a deck of cards almost hiting a guy on his motorbike. "i know very stupid of me" and smashing into a couple miillion peices luckily only lost four sheets, and luckily busyiest intersection in town. Cant complain thou three shop owners showed up with garbage cans and brooms and helped my embarrased *** out a cop even drove by shaking his finger at me and laughing. No one got hurt besides my pride and my glass,, needless to say i dont leave home without ratchet straps... Hope you get a laugh to seanny.

Comment

This is hilarious. I am glad though that nothing unfortunate happened. I heard some stories wherein people were seriously hurt.

Comment

A band saw, just like any other power tools can easily cut off limbs. My neighbor lost half of his thumb when a blade went through it. I do not know if it is a good thing still having half of it. From then on, he kept reminding me to stay focused when operating power machines. It’s good news you were spared from a mishap. Funny story, too.

Comment

Shatting of the pants was the most significant event of having my BS blade break too.

Comment

I am new and I find this funny. I knew then that this forum not only helps disseminate information but is a good stress reliever, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X