X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Ridgid saws - worth?

I'm browsing Craiglist for a first table saw. At the moment, I see these options:

TS2424-0 - good condition - $200
    TS3650 - used outdoors, fair condition - $225

Which of these would you consider a good deal?

There was a R4512 available for $275, but it apparently sold yesterday. Do you suppose it's worth waiting for another of those to show up, or is it possible to be safe without the riving knife?
    Last edited by Alexdi; 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM.

Re: Used Ridgid saws - worth?

depending on condition, the 2424 and 3650 are priced appropriately. the 2424 is guaranteed for life and the 3650 is not. neither is elligible for the lsa. i'd go with the 2424.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

My apologies Finer... I think your "the 2424 is guaranteed for life" needs some clarifications:

The older "2424" was manufactured before the product line was passed to TTI under a licensng agreement with Emerson Electric (the "Ridgid" brand owner) in 2003. Before that time, the Ridgid woodworking power tool line was covered under a "Lifetime Warranty"... against defects in "material and workmanship". After all these years, any material failure probably would have already occured by now, if there were any. After this length in service, "wear" would probably be the most important consideration and that is not covered under the warranty. For example, if a bearing or motor was to wear out, it wouldn't be a defect.

The 3650 is also a great saw, probably a bit more updated (read that as "newer") and perhaps larger, (I'm not familiar with the 2424, but wasn't it a "portable", job-site saw?) Problem with the 3650 though may be rust, as it was used "outside". Of course it could have rust on it regardless, depending on how much it was cared for.

But, I think you are on target as to the pricing; but of course much would depend on the care and the resulting condition.

BTW Alexdi, welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thank you for the comments. The TS2424 was a contractor-style saw in the mold of the 3650. I've read it has a decent fence and cast-iron wings, the latter missing from the 4512. I'm very keen on the riving knife question, though; to what degree is the standard splitter less safe?

Comment

A saw typically is as safe as the users keen awareness of what is going on, his safety procedures, experience and maintenance/overall condition of the equipment. I suppose some saws are more safe than others, but the saws I use have most of that stuff taken off anyways...
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I would recommend the 2424 over the 3650. The fence on the 3650 is a little nicer than the one on the 2424 but other than that IMO the 2424 is a better built saw and, it's powered by an American made Emerson motor.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexdi View Post
              Thank you for the comments. The TS2424 was a contractor-style saw in the mold of the 3650. I've read it has a decent fence and cast-iron wings, the latter missing from the 4512. I'm very keen on the riving knife question, though; to what degree is the standard splitter less safe?
              my 2412 (an entry level version of the 2424/3612 saws) has a splitter and blade guard. riving knives are not retroactively applicable to this saw (many have tried and been unsucessful). however, whenever i've used the OEM splitter and blade guard when machining dimensional lumber, i have always found them as safety effective as a riving knife, albeit not as convenient when addressing non-thru cuts. the 2424 has a dual voltage motor and CI extension wings (like the 3612/3650/3660) and it also has a trunion alignment mechanism and a mobile base (although those items on the 3612/3650/3660 are better than those on the 2424). the 2424, while in stock configuration, has 24" rip capacity right of the blade, can be adjusted so that most of the rails are to the right of the blade, probably providing the same 36" rip capacity as the 3612/3650/3660 (although this will render the tape on the rails useless). i'd still go with the 2424. just remove the drive belts from the arbor and spin the blade by hand (with the saw unplugged). the blade should spin for quite a while. take the blade drive pulley in hand and check for play. no play, the arbor bearing is probably good to go. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                After all these years, any material failure probably would have already occured by now, if there were any. After this length in service, "wear" would probably be the most important consideration and that is not covered under the warranty. For example, if a bearing or motor was to wear out, it wouldn't be a defect.
                the last page of the owners manual has the lifetime warranrty:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B9BE8FC...le_Saw_Man.pdf

and while there is a bit of wiggle room for ridgid in the warranty, my experience with my 2412 (and all my gray, older ridgid stationary tools), which has the same warranty, is that anything that has failed, ridgid has either fixed or sent a replacement part, free of charge. and this warranty attaches to the tool regardles of ownership. even when a ridgid rail option package purchased @ HD for $20 had a problem long after manufacture, and was no longer produced, ridgid sent me the rails and fence from a 3612/50/60 as a replacement, free. the LSA pertains to the tools original owner only,so the 3650 you mentioned is without any coverage at all. in my experience, ridgid really stands behind the older ridgid (gray) stationary tools.

Comment

That would be cool to own something where they had a warranty with no hoops to jump thru.

The last page has an excerpt on their warranty (2424)

"What is not covered
                  Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not
                  covered by this warranty. RIDGE TOOL shall not be responsible
                  for any incidental or consequential damages.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Neither of these saws appear to have the mobile base. I'm also led to believe the 2424-0 did not have the rear trunion adjustment system that was on the 2424-1. Not sure what value this has.

Finer, I appreciate the notes on the checking out the TS2424. Anything else to watch for?

Comment

A riving knife and a splitter basically perform the same task, which is to prevent the workpiece from closing on the back of the blade and kicking back at the operator. While I think a riving knife is a more elegant design that's a bit more effective and is easier to use, both are capable of getting the job done when properly installed...there are good and bad examples of both. The biggest advantage of a riving knife is that it's more likely to be left in place to do the job. Stock splitters are often so cumbersome that people tend to leave them off, which means it can't do it's job when called upon.

Which saw to get would depend a lot of the condition. A 3650 that's been left outside could be in very rough shape. If its just surface rust, and you're up to a project, I'd offer a lot less money and plan to clean it up good. Otherwise, the 2424 is a nice saw.
                      Last edited by hewood; 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexdi View Post
                        Neither of these saws appear to have the mobile base. I'm also led to believe the 2424-0 did not have the rear trunion adjustment system that was on the 2424-1. Not sure what value this has.

Finer, I appreciate the notes on the checking out the TS2424. Anything else to watch for?
                        crank the blade tilt wheel and move the blade from 90 to 45* and back again. there could be a bit of "slop" as the blade returns to 90 for 45*. there is an adjustment for this on some older delta TSs, but none that i am aware of on the emerson built 10" CI TSs. it usually doesn't affect saw performance, just makes it a bit more difficult the return the blade to an accurate 90 from 45*. also check the retaining plate inside the saw body that holds the blade tilt mechanism to the saw body. sometimes, it can loosen affecting the blade tilt. also, check the movement of the blade tilt threaded rod. sometimes, if someone forgot to loosen the tilt locking screw on the front of the saw, it's possible the tilt rod could get bent if it were forced while in the locked position.

the alignment feature on the 2424 was much like the PALS product. it's helpful in aliigning the blade to a miter slot, but not necessary (my 2412 has nothing in the way of alignment accessories, and i've got it dead on to the miter slot and the fence). the handle on the 3612/50/60 is a much better blade alignment feature. the 2424 did, to the best of my knowledge, come with a mobile base, although not a herc-u-lift. if you can find a h-clift, it will fit the 2424 perfectly and there isn't a better mobile base anywhere. unfortunately, they are no longer made by ridgid as a stand alone accessory.

if the saw has surface rust, use it to lower the oprice. if the top isn't pitted, the rust can be removed relatively easily and returned to almost new condition. good luck and remember to post a pic of the saw you finally purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                          the 2424 did, to the best of my knowledge, come with a mobile base, although not a herc-u-lift. if you can find a h-clift, it will fit the 2424 perfectly and there isn't a better mobile base anywhere. unfortunately, they are no longer made by ridgid as a stand alone accessory.
                          Just FYI, the TS2424 did come with the Her-u-lift mobile base.

Comment

so the 2424 the OP is looking at is missing a herc-u-lift and not the lesser ac1050 caster set. i wonder what else it might be missing.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              so the 2424 the OP is looking at is missing a herc-u-lift and not the lesser ac1050 caster set. i wonder what else it might be missing.
                              When I sell my TS2424 I may take the lift system off and use it elsewhere or just sell it. I could probably get more by selling then separately then leaving it on the saw. Something for Alexdi to consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X