X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TS 3650

I have the Ridgid 3650, and would like to know what saw blade do members use when ripping 1 1/2 - 2" inch stock. I am currently using a Freud 24t blade, but wanted to get some feedback on what blade works best. I am thinking of buying the Forrest WW 2 30 tooth blade.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Ridgid TS 3650

I am having good results with a Freud LM74010 30T full kerf on my 3650. Although its rated for 1" wood, it works well on thicker if you just put about 1/2 tooth above the surface when cutting. (The saw does need to be set up well so that the splitter/fence does not push the wood into the back of the blade, of course).

That said, are you looking for a glue line rip for making panel assemblies or just a good fast ripping blade? A 50t combo blade in thin kerf will rip about the same speed but is cheaper. Quality of cut is not as good, though.

Go

PS: the above is related to my experience using it on pine, walnut and red oak.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Yup, you got it. The Forrest is the real deal (I already wasted my bucks on the F's on a few of my 'go cheaper' attempts in the past).

Big G

Comment

here is some interesting reading I found when I wanted to find out what in the world a Forrest WW2 blade was.
        Table Saw Blade Comparisons - WoodworkersZone WoodWiki
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I think I've seen that blade comparison before...

I'd go with a 3/32" thin kerf Forrest WWII 30T. It'll rip nearly as easily as a 24T TK ripper, but with a cleaner cut, and will cut nearly as cleanly as the 40T WWII, but with far better efficiency in thick materials, meaning it'll put less strain on the motor. It even does a respectable job of crosscutting in most materials.

If you were to mate the WWII 30T TK with something like a 60T Hi-ATB Infinity 010-060 (very similar to the WWI but is less $) you'd have one heck of a one-two combination of blades on your hands. There would be darn near nothing that you wouldn't get excellent results in....very thick rips are best done with the 30T, and finer crosscuts and fine ply cuts are best done with the 60T Hi-ATB. The best part is that each blade is good in a wide enough range, that either can be used for normal general purpose cuts, so changing blades isn't essential until you run into more extremes like thick ripping or fine ply/crosscuts cuts. They're like a taste of having specialty blades but each has a broader operating range. They're an excellent match to each other, and are an excellent match for your saw.
          Last edited by hewood; 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Freuds Premier Fusion full kerf is the best blade made IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjazz077 View Post
              I have the Ridgid 3650, and would like to know what saw blade do members use when ripping 1 1/2 - 2" inch stock. I am currently using a Freud 24t blade, but wanted to get some feedback on what blade works best. I am thinking of buying the Forrest WW 2 30 tooth blade.

Thanks

Scott
              I went for the nuclear option. I bought a 7.5HP Powermatic 72 with 14" blade. As they say in motorsport, "aint no substitute for cubic inches".

Still plan to keep my TS3660 though. It was the first proper machine tool I bought, and my wife knows only too well, it wasn't the last

Comment

For the money, I don't think you can beat Onsrud blades. You can find them for $30-$40 on ebay in different tooth #'s. Do some research & you'll see that they perform pretty comparably to the WWII & Freuds, but much cheaper..

In the immortal words of Shamwow Vince, "they're from Germany, & you know the Germans make good stuff!"
                Last edited by jerkylips; 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X