I Spent the last 3 days painting Drylock on limestone basement walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Spent the last 3 days painting Drylock on limestone basement walls

Attention anyone who every has to seal limestone basement type walls after scrubbing down loose material with brush on a broom handle, wear a dust mask, and shop vacing excess dust use a masory brush or white wash brush to apply latex drylock and a smaller trill brush to fill in spaces left by masonry brush.

We started with 2.5in brushers 1st day, 4in brush+ 2.5in brushes,and the 3rd day used 2 masonry brushes + trim brushes. These walls could not be rolled and the paint is to thick to spray.

Thoses masonry brushes got my MVP for making the 4 times as fast and making it much more bearable.
    Andrew S. DeCecco<br />Sunny D HVAC<br />archblackmage@yahoo.com<br />aim archblackmage

Re: I Spent the last 3 days painting Drylock on limestone basement walls

Originally posted by archblackmage View Post
    Attention anyone who every has to seal limestone basement type walls after scrubbing down loose material with brush on a broom handle, wear a dust mask, and shop vacing excess dust use a masory brush or white wash brush to apply latex drylock and a smaller trill brush to fill in spaces left by masonry brush.

We started with 2.5in brushers 1st day, 4in brush+ 2.5in brushes,and the 3rd day used 2 masonry brushes + trim brushes. These walls could not be rolled and the paint is to thick to spray.

Thoses masonry brushes got my MVP for making the 4 times as fast and making it much more bearable.
    Hi, I have the same type of walls and have been considering doing what you did but no one has been able to tell me if Drylock works on limestone. You tried it, did it work for you? Did you have leaks before and have they stopped now?
    Mike

Comment

You should be able to spray Drylock with the correct size tip (.19 I think), which means you can't use a handyman sprayer, you'll need to buy or rent a bigger machine. You could have alone done in one day what took two people three days using brushes. there is more prep and cleanup time with spraying though, but still, including the prep and cleanup, a one day job. My friend said he did ~240 ft of basement block wall in a day. I plan to do mine soon mostly to brighten the walls with the lighter color paint, I don't have a moisture problem, don't even have a sump pump or needed one (knock on wood) in the past 8 years.

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/mas...ofer/latex.php

Just read their spray specs and they differ from what I said above. A painter on my job whom I asked said an 019 tip is good though he also said to strain the Drylock too which would not seem to jive with UGL's recommendations.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM. Reason: added link to spray specs
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

i did that once, learned the hard way about the dustmask

Comment

Thats all i want to do is drylock (leak proofing i call it) I've come up with ventalation system in basement and it works great, also a numatic gun plus w/ a back roller for consistance. Were and who could I market this to.

Comment

i've never understood drylok. if there is a problem with moisture leaching through a foundation, wouldn't it be a wiser long term solution to address the source of the moisture rather than just keeping the moisture from penetrating the interior foundation walls? after all, the moisture is still attacking the exterior of the foundation wall, isn't it?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Drylock is not a cure-all. Yes, you are right you still need to address the source of the water if possible. That might mean regrading, adding an exterior drainage system. repairing or installing gutters or extending downspouts to direct water away from the foundation, etc.

It may work but I would not enough faith in a coating like Drylock to block all water intrusion and put in a finished room behind it.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
              X