X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood repair

Sometime ago David Marks did a show on Woodworks, had to do with fixing imperfections in wood, incorporating flaws, and fixing woodworker mistakes. well i took a bunch of notes from that episode and i thought i had it saved on tivo but i was wrong. Anyway we picked up a table today "as is" at good price from the local furnature scratch and dent section and it has a dent on the side of the top. All the wood is still there, nothing has chipped off. I remember David using heat somehow to expand the fibers and reshape the wood. what comes to mind is a damp cloth and an iron with steam?

sound familiar to anyone? or does anyone have a technique they can recommend to fix the flaw? thanks

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Go to the DIY web site and search for wwk-513

Comment

Depends on how deep the dent is. I would also think it depends on the type of finish---I'd give it a try with the just dampened cloth and steam iron---do it on the edge on under the edge (where there might be less finish)----leave it for 24 hrs. and give it another try if you had any degree of success.
      Dave

Comment

Hi all

Space, I enjoy playing pool, and I have invested in several cues. I went to shoot with a friend and let him use one. After he chalked the cue he smacked it on the side of the table. I wasn't happy then but never mind what ensued.

He actually dented the shaft and you could feel it every time you shot. I went to where I bought it to buy another shaft, and they told me to use a hair dryer and just keep heating it on and off til the fibers returned to their original shape.

He then showed me and made me a believer. So if the fibers aren't damaged try the dry heat first?

good luck

Happy woodworking

Comment

hAMMER

when i ding my cue i have a glass rod i use to get rid of it. sometimes it requires a wet napkin and a lighter, followed with a burnisher, and the the glass. i have had my cue over 6 years and not one ding in it although it has seen quite a few!

i remember the heat and steam i just could not remember exactly how david marks fixed it.

thanks guys! huge help

ed
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
          X