• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaking of good saw blades....

looking for recomendations on a good 10" plexiglass blade

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Ed
    I like your name! Two Eds are better than one!

I have had excellent luck using a plywood blade installed backwards. Rotation arrow pointing in the wrong direction. It cuts very smooth and I have not had a problem catching and breaking any plastic I have tried so far.
    Hope this helps
    RevEd
    Rev Ed

Comment

Ed

i tried your suggestion and it did not work well for me for some reason. ended up melting in some areas. the only thing i can think of is that i was using a 7 1/2 inch blade on my 10 inch contractor saw. maybe because i have more rpm it generates more heat?

Comment

I don't understand what happened. I have cut plexiglass on Radial Arms, Unisaws, Contractor saws and with a circular saw each time with the correct size plywood blade turned backward.

I never have used a 7 1/2 inch on a ten inch saw but I would think it should have worked. You need to use a steady feed rate and a reasonable blade projection but it should work fine.

When I say plywood blade I mean a non carbide 80-100 tooth blade with little or not set and very little hook. I usually use a cheap Sears blade marked plywood.

I would think if it melted your feed rate was too slow or possibly the smaller bldae did not allow for sufficent cooling.
        Rev Ed

Comment

yes i am using the correct plywood blade. as far as feeding and so forth i do a constant but gentle pace....just enough for the blade to barely touch the plexi. again the only thing i can think of is that a 7 1/2 blade on a 10 in saw may cause more rpm's and generate heat/not cool properly.

my local saw shop sells resharpened blades that were most likely left by customers very cheap. he does have a few 10" plywood blades for about 10.00. i will likely buy and try one of those with your suggestion prior to purchasing a plexi blade. biggest problem for me is that i dont cut enough plexi to justify to myself buying an expensive blade, but when i do cut it, usually my joints end up being visable and therefore i need (or desire) clean cuts.

i will keep you posted on my tests

thanks

ed

Comment

Working...
          X