Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Missing Blade Guard

Hi All,

I'm a brand new woodworker with a question about my used TS3650. I bought it with no blade guard assembly and didn't think twice about it since I never see anybody use the guards on the TV shows.
    My number one concern is not getting hurt and being a new guy with no one to learn from, I'm bound to make mistakes. My question then is do you recommend that I try to find a factory setup or is there an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks!

Re: TS3650 Missing Blade Guard

I would recommend that you get and use a new blade guard/splitter assy. There are a number of places that sell Ridgid parts and one of the is eReplacementParts. See Page C. The part you need is #829781 which sells for $64.90. A very inexpensive price when you factor in the cost of a finger or two.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would be tempted to skip the OEM piece in favor of the Shark Guard, or potentially an overhead guard with a set of Microjig Splitters or DIY equivalent. Once the guard comes off for a dado or the like, it tends to stay off because it's annoying to reattach and realign. On the proposition that the most-used safety devices are also the easiest to use, you may fare better with the aftermarket.

FYI: The mechanisms for most table saw injuries are:

- Reached behind blade to grab workpiece or scrap, hand contacts blade; saw either on or not totally spun down; guard not present, blade teeth invisible
      - Distraction, hand slips into blade; guard not present
      - Reaction to stabilize unexpected workpiece movement, hand contacts blade; guard not present
      - Workpiece feeds faster than expected, hand pulled into blade; hand in line with blade
      - Kickback of workpiece, hand falls or is pulled into blade; guard and splitter not present
      - Kickback of workpiece into person; guard and splitter not present, standing in line with blade

All exacerbated by fatigue, haste, and inattention.

Kickback occurs when the back of the saw blade binds against the channel (kerf) in the wood it just cut. The blade grabs the wood, rotates it, and hurls it back at you in line with the blade. To prevent this:

- Use a splitter / riving knife
      - Use the fence or the miter gauge (or a sled) always, but never together
      - No bevel cuts with the blade angled toward the fence
      - No ripping of workpieces with no smooth edge to ride the fence (unless a smooth edge is tacked to it)
      - No ripping of thin (<4") workpieces without extra precautions (featherboards et. al.)
      - Support the workpiece before and after the blade (i.e., outfeed table)
      - Align the blade and fence to the miter slots (potentially kick the fence out 1/64 at the back end)
      - Use featherboards to provide vertical and horizontal pressure (but no horizontal pressure on the blade or after)
      - Use zero-clearing inserts in place of the standard throat place
      - Keep the blade clean and sharp

Minimize your risk of injury in the event of kickback by:

- Using the guard
      - Standing off to one side
      - Using push sticks
      - Using safety glasses and/or a face shield
      - Keeping blade height as low as possible (teeth-height above workpiece)

Also be aware of long-term issues: ear and lung damage caused by, respectively, lack of earplugs and inadequate fine dust collection.
      Last edited by Alexdi; 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

or you can get a blade guard complete with splitter from M&D Mower for under $59:

826519 - 826519 RYOBI-RIDGID TOOLS PART 826519 - REPLACED BY: TH1004 > 829781 HC GUARD ASM BLADE - TTI-826519 - RYOBI/RIDGID TOOLS
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

BadgerDave, Thanks for the link and suggestion. When in doubt, putting the OEM part back on makes sense.

Alexdi, Thanks for all the good info. I had imagined that there was an aftermarket alternative but having never even seen the original, it's hard to imagine what would be better. Do you have the SharkGuard setup yourself?

FINER9998, Thanks for the link. There's no picture though. Is this a cross referenced part to the OEM part?

On a safety note, I have already experienced kick-back. Luckily it was with 2" foam board so the results were more educational than damaging. It was interesting to see the blade pattern on the back side. You could clearly see where the blade grabbed the back and lifted and rotated then threw the piece back. Good learning experience to appreciate the danger!

Comment

Originally posted by as4me View Post
            FINER9998, Thanks for the link. There's no picture though. Is this a cross referenced part to the OEM part?
            if you go to the M&D MOwer site, they have the parts diagram form the 3650, which shows the original part number (TH1004). if i remember correctly, the link i provided above referneces the TH1004. and others here, and on other sites, have acquired OEM parts from M&D.

Comment

I don't have that particular guard, though it's constantly recommended by those who do for its ease of attachment and removal. Whether that ease is worth $170 is a personal question.

Comment

In my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, the Shark Guard is not worth the extra expense. The above the table dust collection port is nice but other than that it offers no real advantage that warrants spending that kind of money. The model that fits the 3650 it is still just a splitter and a blade guard with no riving knife capabilities.

Comment

Maybe do some eBay searching. Set yourself up a search and
                  have eBay automatically email you when something pops up.

You should catch something before long.

The stock TS-3650 guard is one of the easiest guards to remove or install I think.
                  That of the designs before the revised standard forced all manufacturers to upgrade
                  the blade guards to something even more user friendly.

You opening comment is EXACTLY why all the broadcast WWing shows need to stop
                  the stupid practice of filming w/o guards. Its just a piece of wood moving through a rotating blade.
                  If you've seen it once you know what happens. There is no need to remove the guard and
                  thereby mislead people into thinking its OK to work w/o a guard. These shows all do a disservice
                  by not using the guard when they can or should.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

You opening comment is EXACTLY why all the broadcast WWing shows need to stop
                    the stupid practice of filming w/o guards. Its just a piece of wood moving through a rotating blade.
                    If you've seen it once you know what happens. There is no need to remove the guard and
                    thereby mislead people into thinking its OK to work w/o a guard. These shows all do a disservice
                    by not using the guard when they can or should.
                    +1 I totally agree with what Bob said.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the advice. I love these forums because you get the experience of so many different people to help you solve a problem.

I think I'll find a stock guard; sooner than later. I can definitely get into the paralysis by analysis and do nothing which probably isn't safe!

Comment

Originally posted by as4me View Post
                        Thanks guys for all the advice. I love these forums because you get the experience of so many different people to help you solve a problem.

I think I'll find a stock guard; sooner than later. I can definitely get into the paralysis by analysis and do nothing which probably isn't safe!
                        Good for you. It may not be cheap to find a replacement guard, but it's way cheaper than the potential injury you or someone else could experience. When you put that couple hundred bucks in perspective, it is insignificant to the costs that would mount up from an injury.

For example. I have a friend that lost the end of his finger to a TS because he was not paying attention and was using his saw w/o a guard for a cutting operation where the guard would have worked. Here are some of the expenses he endured as a result. you figure out which is cheaper;

Lost 4 days pay while away from work
                        Inconvenience to employer having to work around his absence
                        Had to pay the co-pays for treatment at ER and follow-up care from doctors
                        Co-pays for medications
                        Clean up bio-hazard (blood, etc) mess in shop
                        Long term (rest of his life) having to deal with the missing segment of the finger

That blade guard is looking less expensive to me.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The TS3650 has close ties back to both the Emerson made Ridgid (TS2412, 2424, 3612) and Emerson and TTI/Ryobi made Craftsman contractor saws (#113.###### and #315.######) ....does anyone know if the blade guards are interchangeable on any of these?

Comment

the ts3650/60, 2412, 2424, 3612 and all 113.xxxxxx emerson electric TSs all share the same splitter assembly. they are interchangeable. i own both a c-man 113.xxxxxx TS and a 2412. the splitter and blade guards are the same. i have no familiarity with the 315.xxxxxx c-man TSs.

Comment

If you are not too concerned about financial cost, I would go with the shark guard or (even better) the excalibur overhead guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X