X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Fence Help.....

Just purchased a used TS R4511....noticed on this forum that a few woodworkers have beefed up the fence. Why is this necessary and if so, how can you read the correct distance from blade to fence? Only used is twice and love it...sold a smaller TS to buy this one. Just joined the forum. Thanks to all for any replys.............

Re: Table Saw Fence Help.....

i believe most of the 4511 owners that upgraded here did it because they didn't like the split front fence rail. that and the fact that the fence doesn't have faces that are as substantial as the delta t-2 or a bies. personally, i never saw anything wrong with the 4511's fence system, aside from the 2 part front rail.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

You can find the correct procedure for setting up your fence and rail system in the Owners Manual. Once setup correctly it's just a matter of using the tape measure on the front rail.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Welcome to the forum asr.

I only use the measuring tape on the rail of my TS for rough measurment. I always double check the distance between the blade with a steel rule if the cut is within 6" of the blade, or a tape if longer that 6". Most often I measure directly on the workpiece, mark it with a sharp pencil, square the line using an engineers square (transferring to whatever edge or face needed), and cut to my line.

You may also want to make yourself a zero clearance insert (ZCI) as well to help control tearout.
        Last edited by franklin pug; 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Didn't realize you had two threads going....already commented in the other one.

As to reading measurements.....I never use the tape on my fence. I wouldn't care if it didn't have one. I always measure from the blade to the fence. Just the way I've always done it.

Comment

Congrats on getting a 4511. It's a fine saw, except for the fence. There are threads all over the place regarding this issue. And I, like many others, could never get the fence to stay completely set on my measurements. This is not a problem for rough work but drives you crazy when trying to cut to a specific mark. The problem cannot really be solved in it's entirety due to the two piece front rail. Replaced miy fence this summer and it now seems like I have a REAL saw.

Big G

Comment

Congrats on your saw purchase. I have the R4511 and it fits my needs pretty well as a hobbyist.

I too could never keep my split rail OEM fence consistently adjusted. It always had a little kick to one side or the other when locking down.

I ended up mounting a delta T-2 fence on it and putting a new adhesive backed tape measure on the rail.

It has held true since I set it up and works great now.

Comment

Working...
              X