improved dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improved dust collection

Do any of you guys own cyclones? I have been contemplating upgrading my delta 50 760 to an oneida gorilla of some type. The gorilla's are expensive, but probably worth the investment.

The newest gorilla is called the mini gorilla, and is a portable unit. It sells for under 1000, but it only has 600 CFM (as I understand it, a planer or jointer needs 800 CFM at the source). That means I need a larger unit I suppose.

Any advice?

Re: improved dust collection

I built my own and it works very well. The Thien Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle

Comment

Thanks for the link Abbott. I am concerned about the fine dust, as the HEPA filtration in the Oneida's are superb. The delta only gets down to 1 micron, while the HEPA goes down 0.3 microns.

What type of DC do you have connected to your cyclone? Would 1.5 HP be enough if I use only one machine at a time, and a short 5" hose? I could always get a better canister for my delta, and build a cyclone similar to yours to save a bundle.

Comment

I have the 2 horse unit from Harbor Freight. Dollar for dollar its the most bang for the buck available right now. I have a Thein Separator running through (on top of) a 55 gallon drum and both the drum and the DC unit set in a sound insulated closet that I built outside the back wall of my shop. I like the quiet of having the unit outside. No return filter needed as I run it with an open exhaust...the Thein unit catches the dust well enough to where there is never any debris outside on the ground and the open exhaust maximizes the unit's power.
        Last edited by Abbott; 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X